Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy HumHumHum Hump Day....cornbread n beans!

Well peeps if you live in the DFW area I hope you are Hump Day Dancing in the rain with your rain boots!!   Seriously...we've gotten ALOT of rain...more coming.  As you remember from last storm, the dog does not like storms.  Hubby was really tired last night (prob. cause we stayed up late watching AGT finals, The Colony, and Sons of Anarchy)
             side note....oh my Jax in the shower on SOA!!!  He is def. eye candy ladies!!!  Great show but the 
            cop getting his head run over by the van...G R O S S!    great show peeps just a great show!

Ok, back to last night. Since hubby was tired and it was obvious the dog was in for a long sleepless night (uh, she also gets a little bit of a messed up tummy when she is nervous) I grabbed my pillow and a blanket and headed for the couch. I figured there was no sense in both of us being awake all night.   My point is this...if I say weird things today please ignore me... I've had very little sleep. 


I have various things to explain to you today

1)  a little cleaning object that I just adore and assists me greatly
Check out the round fluffy greenness of this little thing!!!   It's very useful, I found this little cutie at the Home Depot










It grows really long













and it cleans those nasty little kickplates in your kitchen!













and it goes way high to get the tall jobs





it's just an all around handy object to have in the house.  I think it was in the 15 dollar range.  The handle and the round jobber are purchased separate. They have all kinds of goodies to attach to the handle.  If you have wood floors, you will love this because it gets in the corners really well!



2)  This is what will happen at your house if you invite lots of friends over for fun and food and you forget to get any paper plates
Your dishwasher will explode!


3) I showed you my little to do list yesterday....well today I wanted to show you what happens to it after I make the list.
Just wanted you to see that even a todo list gets changed...sometimes quite a bit.  I'll try to remember to post it this weekend so you can see all the destruction it suffers during the week.  It's all about being flexible and Yes.....I do add things to my list just so I can cross them off.  I'm a little OCD that way.

4) We had leftover Mexican beans and I made cornbread for dinner.   I quite frankly forgot to get the Cowboy Stew out of the freezer and unthaw it so I went with the flow and decided to use up the beans and make the cornbread.  If you know my husband ask him about cornbread, the maid when he was little and cornbread.  It's a funny story!

Let's make some cornbread!!!
I use a recipe from the Original brown cover Southern Living cookbook. 

Cast of characters:
2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
 bacon grease, shortening, or oil (to grease the iron skillet)


First things first.... get the oil of your choosing into the iron skillet and get the oven preheated to 450 degrees.  Just let the oil get nice and hot in that skillet while the oven is preheating. 

Combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk dry ingredients together. 

In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, eggs and oil together.  When this is mixed add to the dry ingredients and mix only to combine.

Your oven should be at the temperature so carefully take that hot iron skillet out of the oven and pour the mixture into the skillet. Return to the oven and bake at 450 for 25 mins or until golden brown on top.



see, nice and golden brown and very HOT!! 

While the cornbread was cooking I reheated those mexican beans from Monday's get together


I added a little beef broth to the beans when I reheated them because they were in the fridge and seems a little dry and needed a little moisture added.   They warmed up well and and I have one serving left in the fridge!!  Hubby will probably eat it for lunch one day this week. He's so great he loves loves loves leftovers!

Cut up that cornbread and smear it down really good with butter while it's nice and hot and sit down for a nice dinner that was very little effort!!!



While you feast your eyes on that .....this is what the lovely dog who kept me up all night is doing



figures..it must be nice to sleep all day after you keep everyone else awake all night!!


Gotta go to Sprouts you know...it's Wednesday!!! Try to stay dry my peeps!


Peace, Love and Yummies   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF