Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Chicken, Blueberries, Guilt & Dog Beds-

Hi De Ho My Peeps- Did that title make you go hmmmmmm, she might be off her rocker?  haha

I have a quick dinner idea for you and some encouraging words to relieve you a little bit of that "guilt" word.   Then we toss in some leftover blueberries and new dog bed for fun today.

We follow blogs, we obsess on Pinterest, we scroll through Instagram and social media all the time and we find ourselves thinking less of ourselves and more of others.   You know the words....."I'll never be able to put those beautiful dinners on the table for my family", "it's just the two of us, why bother".   First thing I need to tell you is that if you see gorgeous photos on a blog of a "perfect" dinner what you need to remember is  1) their kitchen probably looks like a disaster rolled through 2) There's probably camera equipment everywhere  3) the kids/husband probably had food snatched away from them last second to get one more photo  4) the dog is probably eating something he shouldn't off the floor  5) People are whining about being hungry and/or   6) this is the 4th dinner that blogger has cooked and photographed today and nothing you see will be fed to the family for several days.

We all think that everyone has it all together when the truth is we are all just swimming to keep going.  To pay the bills, to feed our families, to get healthier, to be more involved.  Anyway, you get the picture and what I'm trying to say is STOP letting social media make you feel less than you are. Everyone is swimming...EVERYONE!

                              
                                                                                via GIPHY


Do you guys know why I stopped doing food posts?  Because I didn't follow my own advice up there!   I didn't think my food/recipes/photos were good enough and you can get inspiration so many places why would you look at my blog?  Then the other night I was whipping up a quick dinner and I snapped a photo with my phone and all of a sudden it hit me.  My dinner is good enough to share....it's good enough for us, it's relatively healthy, it's something a tired single parent could do when they get home from work, it's something someone who lives alone can do...dangit people it's good enough for anyone and good enough to post!  You know what we had?  Grilled chicken and roasted broccoli.  My husband thought it was wonderful, it's pretty healthy and we were happy.  Isn't that what dinner is about?

So I present to you my unedited, non fancy, not staged dinner photos with a little bit of description of how I made it.



Grilled Chicken Breast:  Drizzle olive oil over chicken breast, sprinkle on salt & pepper or season of your choice.  I happen to have used Cavender Greek Seasoning this particular night.   Then grill, or bake.  Whatever makes you happy or is easiest. 

Roasted Broccoli:   Cut up your broccoli (or buy a bag of pre-cut broccoli heads like I did) and then drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven on 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the roasting has reached your preferred level.  

THAT IS IT!!  That was dinner, well technically that was Hubster's plate.  Below is the photo of my plate.


As some of you may know, I've had a wee bit of trouble with my gallbladder.  I've pretty much been in constant pain and my food intake has been minimal while awaiting the gallbladder eviction.  That plate was a HUGE meal for me and it was still too much.  I ended up in some pain later that evening but nonetheless I did manage to eat something other than animal crackers.   

Point here is ..... It's good enough for us and it's good enough for you and your family too!  Don't condemn yourself for what you can't do or don't have time to do.  Celebrate and embrace what you can do and I promise to try and post these very un-pinterest worthy dinners more often to help you out.  



Because he's such a hoot- here's a photo of the ever sleeping Sir Winston L. Churchill.  I ordered a new bed for him because he has to go to the kennel in a week or so and when he goes to the kennel he tends to shred his bed.  I don't know why people, he just does.  I figured at least this one he can't defluff and it should be more comfy than the concrete floor.   Apparently he approves, he slept there in the middle of my floor for a couple of hours.  

Moving on to the blueberry portion of the post.   You guys already know that I hate wasting food and I've done many blog posts regarding that so I found myself on this day before surgery with a big bowl of blueberries that were looking pretty crummy.   So I did what everyone does...I searched Pinterest! Hey, why let someone else mess up their kitchen and take lovely photos for nothing?   I found this blueberry sauce/syrup to try.   


I'm not going to recreate the recipe for you guys because this lovely blogger already has done all the hard work.  Just click right here on Fresh Blueberry Sauce and you'll be whisked over to her page.   It's quite delicious and we can't wait to serve it on waffles or ice cream or whatever and I didn't have to throw out nearly 2 cups of fresh blueberries.

#WINNING

                         
                                                                              via GIPHY



That's it for today my friends, keep swimming and keep #winning, you've got this!

                                                           Peace, Love & Gallbladders

                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF