Hey peeps!
I don't really have a Snapshot post for you this week because, well... I didn't finish last week's post until Friday and I have literally not taken a picture of anything since then. Well, except my Amazon vine merchandise, and I'm pretty sure ya'll don't want to see pictures of boxes of random stuff I've ordered to review. 😂
So, instead of pretending I have something interesting and photo worthy to share, I thought I'd catch you up on what we've been having for dinner lately (minus the pictures, sadly) and then give you my down-and-dirty, quick-and-easy "recipe" for Mexi Bowls, which we have quite often.
Because, apparently, when it's 900 degrees outside, my idea of a good blog post is talking about food!
First up let's get dinners covered:
Friday(14th): We thought we were going to have the neighbors over, but they went with some other neighbors to dinner so we ended up making pizzas in the Ooni instead. You've seen them before so I didn't even think about a picture. We eat pizza a lot because it's so easy with the Ooni oven plus I don't have to turn the oven on.
Saturday: Hubster got up and headed up to the deer lease to do some work around his stand. The doggies and I stayed home, the last time poor Reggie went he about died of heatstroke so until it cools off he'll have to hang back with the Rouxby Sue and I. I headed down to the above mentioned neighbors house to have the Taco platter from Rosa's Taco's. When I tell ya'll it's hot...I mean like it's hot and nobody feels like cooking. A few other neighbors came over and we hung out in the pool and got caught up on everyone's life.
Sunday: Hubster got home, we got cleaned up and went to Costco. We just ate whatever we could find for dinner. I had a new kitchen gadget that I needed to review for Amazon so we tried to make ice cream in it. It failed, as did the slush I tried to make on Saturday, so I pulled down my trusty countertop ice cream maker so that mix didn't go to waste. When I went to put it back in the pantry, it slipped from my hand and came crashing down across the bridge of my nose. In true Samma fashion, I probably gave myself a light concussion and possibly have a fracture in my nose. Needless to say, I've been taking it easy ever since. No, we skipped the ER because 1) I didn't lose consciousness and 2) it didn't bleed and I didn't have any weird fluid coming from my nose and I never vomited. I may have had more than my share of concussions (like 5 or more) so we made the decision based on our previous experience, we do not pretend to be doctors or give medical advice. Concussions are very serious matters. I iced my face and took some ibuprofen and rested quite a bit yesterday because I felt "off" most of the day. I'm better today and should be back to 100% tomorrow. Hubster is a very light sleeper and I have to go to the bathroom a couple of times a night so I was being monitored carefully. :-).
Monday: I had to turn the oven to make the dogs breakfast for the week, yes, they are vey spoiled so we had Ham, Green peas, mashed potatoes and biscuits last night for dinner. We got the ham and the biscuits from Costco, it's a new item for them and let me tell you they are HUGE and quite tasty. Sorry, I totally spaced and didn't get a picture.
You get 10 of these honkers for 6.99, they are in the bakery section. We had three for dinner, RK joined us for dinner, then I made 3 ham sandwich biscuits for Hubster's breakfast this week and froze the other 4 to have later. I hope they keep these around, especially during the holidays!
Let's Talk About Those Mexi Bowls:
So easy and a great way to sneak some good veggies into your not so basic Taco Night.
First things first, get the rice going in your rice cooker. Sometimes I make cilantro lime rice and sometimes I just make plain Basmati. That's what we had this last time but you do you Boo and make whatever you like.
Next, I slice and chop up some onions and some zucchini. Drizzle them with some olive oil, mix in salt, pepper, cumin and throw them on the hot griddle to cook. You can do them in the oven too but the griddle doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as the oven. Did I mention it's like 900 degrees here??
While those are cooking, I have my taco meat going. Beef, turkey, turkey sausage, plant based, have it your way!
I keep this in the freezer for emergency taco nights. It's already seasoned so all you have to do is brown it up.
Once that's done, it's time to assemble the bowls.
Again, you do what works for your family but this is how we assembled our Mexi bowls.
Rice on the bottom.
Veggies come next, followed by the meat, then we top with pico de Gallo & avocado/guacamole. Sprinkle it all with some cotija cheese then drizzle on Trader Joe's Taco Sauce. That's it!
Easy, peasy, lemon squeezey!
The hardest part is cleaning up the griddle and that really only takes me about 5 minutes. I squeeze on some water while the griddle is still warm and by the time we're finished eating the griddle pretty much wipes clean.
So the next time you think Taco's are your only option, switch it up and make a mexi bowl and if you miss the crunch of the taco shells then just crush up some tortilla chips over the top.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!