Monday, October 27, 2014

Southwestern Turkey Chili

Hi Dee Ho there my peeps!!!

Yes it's true, I actually have a recipe for you today!!   Even more surprising, I have a couple more for you this week too!

Before we start cooking let's play catch up on the 'state of the nation' around here.   Hubster started a new job in August and he was supposed to be working out of town Monday thru Friday until early October then he would be working from home pretty much every day after that.  Things change and he's enjoying the new challenges of the job and now he'll be out of town Sunday evening thru Thursday evening every week until February.   Reason I'm telling you this.....I'm the only one here besides the dog and I'm not cooking very much.  Apparently I'm existing on various dips and snacks but after a couple months of that well even I'm tired of chips and salsa.  Shock and Awe I know!!!
Anywho I've decided to eat an actual meal now and then and then also have some decent food cooked for when Hubster is home.  He has to eat out Sunday evening thru Thursday evening so I finally figured out if I took some time to cook a few things during the week then I would have something decent to eat occasionally and he wouldn't have to eat out while home.

Last week I saw a recipe for Turkey Chili on the interwebs someplace and thought "hey, that might be pretty good".  I've also been craving chili and it's been 90 degrees here so it's definitely not fall weather in North Texas.  My internal appetite must think we are actually experiencing fall and be demanding chili.

Before we start I made you a printable too.  Yay!! Go Me!!!


Cast of Characters

1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (1.25-oz.) envelope chili seasoning mix
1 (12-oz.) can beer
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt

Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic, red pepper and green pepper. Sauté' until tender or about 5 minutes.  



Add the ground turkey and packet of chili seasoning mix.  Stir well to combine.



Cook until turkey meat is browned.



Looking yummoooooo!!!



Pour in can of beer and let simmer about 5 minutes.



Add corn, black beans and tomatoes to slow cooker then add in meat mixture. 
Cover and set on LOW then cook for 6 hours. 



Serve it up with your favorite toppings.




Enjoy!


In case you wondered, this also freezes quite well.
And here's the handy dandy printable one more time for ya!


So there you go, the burning question has been answered, I still know how to cook!!
Hope you enjoy this lightened up version of chili and take a few minutes to prep then pop it in the slow cooker before you head out the door and have dinner ready for the family when you get home.
And hopefully you are actually experiencing fall weather where you are and maybe just maybe one day, we'll have fall here too!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go see what the heck is going on with my Cowboys!!!


Peace, Love & Chili!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF