Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Where to Find Books


Hey Everyone!

I just dropped in to do a quick post about books and where to find them.   I know some of you may be wondering after my last post "geezum, how much does she spend on books?".    Well, let me tell you right now, not that much!  I really don't and sometimes that is also why you'll find my reading list a little heavy on the cozy mysteries because I can find those for free most of the time.   I also do the Kindle thing....I know, I know it's not the same as having a book in your hand but 1) I really don't have anywhere to keep all those books 2) eBooks are much cheaper and 3) how else do you think I can read 10 books on vacation??  Honey airline baggage fees would kill me!!

This is not all encompassing but a start:

Amazon:
Hands down where 95% of my books, digital and hardback, are purchased.  I have Amazon Prime and besides all the free shipping it leads to the next source.

Amazon First Reads:
Every month you get to choose a book from 6 Editor picks to be released the next month FO FREE!  Sometimes I have a really hard time choosing just one and occasionally I haven't even selected one.  They are a mix of genre's and it's a good place to read something outside your norm.  This month the categories were: Psychological Fiction, Historical Fiction, Thriller, Contemporary Fiction, Mystery and Literary Fiction.   I had a hard time choosing this month because they had so many of my favorite genre's but I ended up with the Psychological Fiction Selection but almost got the Thriller.   One tip: wait until a little later in the month to make your selection when some reviews have been posted.  Tip #2: always skim over the reviews sometimes publisher descriptions are misleading.

BookBub:
I'll use their description for you:
BookBub is a free service that helps you discover books you'll love through unbeatable deals, handpicked recommendations, and updates from your favorite authors. BookBub doesn't actually sell books. We simply introduce you to books you'll love that are available on retailers like Amazon's Kindle store, Barnes & Noble's Nook store, Apple's iBooks, and others.
You sign up for the email and you tell them what categories of books you are interested in seeing deals on and then every day you get an email with books from the genre's you've selected.  Prices will range from Free to 2.99 as a general rule and they have a different link to click on to take you to each version depending on the reader you are using.

Bookperk:
Pretty much the same as BookBub, you fill out an email request, choose your genre's and then get a daily email.  Oddly enough I rarely see the same books in the two emails and I do get both everyday.  A quick glance is usually all I give either email to see if anything catches my eye.

LoveKissedCozies.com
This is also a daily digest that gets emailed but everything is...you guessed it, Cozy Mysteries.  They have just recently changed their email lists and instead of one I get two, one is strictly free cozy mystery books and the second is bargains.  Bargains are $2.99 or less.   I usually do click over to Amazon to check out longer descriptions and reviews before downloading these.

Second part of the post "How do I find my next book"?
Hey, I get in book ruts just like everyone else but the number one place I figure out what I'm reading next is FRIENDS.   We're social people and we all like to share on FaceBook and fortunately my reading friends do the same.   I also add books to my Wish List in Amazon so when I'm ready for the next book I go to my wish list and pick something. I also have a Want To Read virtual bookcase on GoodReads.  You can tie your Amazon account to your GoodReads account and my yearly reading goals are set on GoodReads as well.  When I see a book that is Free that I might want to read I go ahead and download it so normally I have several books on my Kindle waiting for me then I don't feel bad about deleting it and not finishing it if it's really bad because it cost me nothing.   The next place is Sam's and Costco. I always go through the books because sometimes holding the book and flipping through it will change my mind about reading it.  I probably won't buy it there but instead come home and download it or add it to my reading list.   Here's another hint:  Bestsellers are more expensive when they are first released say 12.99 but often drop to 9.99 after a couple of months.   I also read quite a few blogs about books and new releases to keep me current on what's coming out.  If all else fails, just go to Amazon's Best Sellers list and start scrolling, chances are you'll find something that grabs you!

That's it for today, nothing earth shattering but it's cold and some of my friends are about to see some snow and well, you might as well curl up under a warm blanket and read when that happens!

                                                          
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF