Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cowboy Stew & Cheddar Jalapeno Bread

Howdy ho my peeps!!!
WOW....I don't really know what has happened to me, I promise I haven't neglected you guys for vacuuming my house!! haha  It's just been a bit crazy around here and I'm gonna be posting better in the next few weeks but it's spring and you peeps know me well enough by now to know that my poor house cleaning and cooking get put on the back burner this time of the year.  I mean hellooooooo it's GORGEOUS outside.  As for this past weekend all the kids were around for some or part of the time.    The Abogg likes to rub it in to his sisters this time of year as he gets Good Friday and Easter Monday off from school.  He was happy not to deal with Easter Sunday evening traffic back to Waco.

We had Cowboy Stew and some bread last week sometime or another and I know both of these I've made for you before but hey.....it's worth giving them a bit more time!!

Let's make the Cowboy Stew first......



Take 1 onion and chop it up nicely and then brown some ground beef with it.



Now grab these things:
28 oz stewed tomatoes 
2 cans corn
2 cans white or green beans
1 can red beans
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste

You can see that I used 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of rotel this time
A large bag of frozen corn instead of can and no I didn't unthaw it
I usually use 1 can of white beans and 1 can of green beans
The oregano and cayenne pepper are heaping measures for us



Once you have everything opened up just dump it all in a big pan (no draining of any of the cans)
and bring it to a boil and then turn it down, cover and simmer for a minimum of 45 minutes but the longer you can let it cook, the better it will reward you!!



So now let's make some bread, once again it's a repeat but it's worth it!


3 cups flour (sifted multiple times...sorry)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/8 cup sugar
12 oz. beer (don't use a light beer in this one)
couple of sliced jalapenos
1 cup shredded cheddar (overflowing cup)
4 Tbsp melted butter, divided

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees



Mix the dry ingredients and sift



then sift again...and hey for good measure sift it again.
I'm completely serious it needs to be sifted AT LEAST twice
we don't want to bake bricks in the oven



Now mix in the beer and 3 of the Tbsp. of melted butter




and the cheese
then put it into a loaf pan (sprayed really well with cooking spray)


Now pour the last Tbsp. of melted butter over the top
Bake for 1 hour



Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes



attempt NOT to dig in with a fork and start eating it




I know...it seems like a REALLY REALLY long 15 minutes



Turn it out onto a cooling rack and let it cool
you know try to refrain from cutting it until it cools a little more


if you do then you'll be blessed with this beautiful sight




it will slice up beautifully 


but still warm enough to smother with some butter 



and warm your soul!!



Now it's time to bring the Cowboy Stew to the table and have a mostwonderfullydelicios dinner!

So what kind of lovely soups do you guys like to whip up together.  I kind of really need to know this since I'm hosting book club next week and I need some ideas!!! Don't fail me peeps!!!



Peace, Love & Yummies!!!

                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF