Monday, November 12, 2012

The Absolute Most Perfect Rice EVER!

Hi dee ho folks!!!
I know I know it's been awhile but I've been super dee duper busy with real estate transactions and planning a 50th birthday party.   I'm back now with a REAL LIVE HONEST TO GOODNESS RECIPE!!!

Yessireeee Bob I'm gonna show you how to do something that is so incredibly easy and you won't believe how good the rice will be.   First some background, Saturday night we had us a big ole' shindig for the Hubsters 50th birthday.  It was a Bayou Bash and included all things Louisiana for my cajun man.   I catered out most of the party (you know because I actually wanted to enjoy the party too) but I didn't get the red beans & rice farmed out and instead I made 2 awesome versions of red beans (even if I do say so myself and thank you very much).  One was regular Louisiana style and the other was vegetarian and I will definitely give you the lowdown on those later on but for now let's talk about the rice.  Oh the rice, how on earth do you make rice for about 40 people and it all get done at once and not be all glumpy sticky.  Well first thing you do is you start scouring the internets for some ideas.  If google is not your friend, it should be!!  That google knows everything for sure.

I found several recipes for cooking rice for a crowd and this is what I ended up doing.
Mind you this serves a LOT of people. I will be attempting an adjustment for a smaller crowd later and I'll do an update on this post.


You need 3 1/2 lbs of converted white rice  (from the research I did Uncle Ben's is deemed the winner but make sure it's converted rice.

This is a picture of the box just so you get the right one.  :0)

Turn your oven on to 350 degrees and start boiling 4 quarts of water with 2 Tbsp. salt.
Rinse the rice with warm water.
Place the rice in a 12x20 glass, ceramic or steel pan at least 2 inches deep.
I used my really really big calphalon pot.
Make sure the salt has dissolved fully and then add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to the boiling water and pour over the rice.  Cover the pot with aluminum foil and pinch the edges down tightly.  Really tighten down the edges of the foil. Place in the oven for 60 minutes.  
Yes that's right you gotta plan ahead for this baby.
Bring out of the oven and let rest on the counter for 5-10 minutes
(I did not do this...party had already started and I needed the rice to be done)
Remove the foil, fluff and serve!



look at that rice...it's just perfect
and here's a secret




This rice was cold out of the refrigerator this morning!
Yep made on Saturday night and comes out of the refrigerator looking like this.


So the next time you need rice for a crowd try this and wow everyone at how awesome you are because your rice is perfect and done all at the same time!!!

Gotta run for today peeps but you know I had so many people asking me about the rice that I just had to get this post up quickly today!!    See ya tomorrow where we're gonna bump off Tuesday Tumblings for some party photos.   

Peace, Love & Yummies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF