Friday, August 26, 2011

a Pinterest inspired dinner

We're gonna hop back on the Pinterest boat a minute because seriously if you aren't pinning you don't know what you're missing.   I'm so totally in love with this site and this dinner inspiration came straight off that site.   So let's get started because it's gonna be a long post today but worth it!


First item before heading out the door is get the green beans ready.   A nice little old lady in Sprouts was telling me and another lady how to prep our fresh green beans.  She said when we get them home wash them and soak them in ice water.  So I did...always listen to little old ladies in the grocery!
So I popped off the end pieces and got the beans in the crock pot.



Then I threw in some ham chunks, 1/2 of an onion, some new potatoes, 1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder & seasoned salt and 2 chicken bouillon cubes with just enough water to cover.
Slap the lid on and head out to lunch....a 3 HOUR LUNCH!!! 
Oh my don't you just love with you just find a new friend and feel an instant connection??!!!   I met Lovely Leah a little over a year ago.  She's the mom to our kids friend and we finally got the chance to get together and I just felt like I've known her my whole life. She's warm and funny and kind and has a beautiful sweet soul.  We laughed, we cried and we had such a wonderful time.  We also had Fried Green Tomato BLT's for lunch.   Many thanks to our sweet waiter at Cowboy Chow who must have seen two ladies having a wonderful time and never bothered or rushed us!!  I look forward to spending more time with this wonderful new friend!!

well... we finally left the restaurant and nothing like adding a trip to WallyWorld while you are out and about.



Why do I show you these things... I seriously paid $24.25 for all of this stuff!!!!
No joke no joke..I had a coupon for almost everything. Except the magazine which is full of coupons and why I buy it, the milky way's because hubster has been craving them lately and the sour cream which we needed for dinner.   I hope the "coupon hoarders" don't ruin this game for the rest of us.  I mean I get having a little bit of a stock pile but do you really need to clean the shelves when you shop and seriously...who really needs to keep 100 boxes of cereal at their house??!!!!

stepping down from soap box now...

and it's back to dinner folks....



Take 2 Tbsp olive oil and mix in 1 tsp of smoked paprika



Rub a couple of chicken breast down really good with that mixture 


Now mix up another batch of that oil/paprika mix for the corn that you should have oiled down first
(yeah, don't roll the corn in the raw chicken oil please)
While doing this tell someone in the house to go turn on the grill...husbands work nicely for this




Take the corn and the chicken and place on the grill





Run inside to wash out the plates and grab a nice glass of this...or anything cool and refreshing



go back to the grill to check on things and find hubster has swiped the camera because "we need to show the food on the grill from a different angle"......((eye rolls)))



then discover as you are taking photos off the camera for the blog that he apparently felt the need to photograph his Who Dat Nation sign in the back yard



and rearrange items on the grill


this corn is ready for the house.


Take it inside and shave the kernels off that roasted corn.
Careful.... it was H O T


This is another shot because this idea came from Pinterest too.... Take your bundt cake pan and rest the cob on the hole in the middle and run your knife down the corn cobs and the corn goes right into the pan. Genius!!!!!!!



Now that those kernels are off the cob just dump them all in a big skillet


Add in 1/3 cup of sour cream 


and while the original recipe called for a splash of milk...I lopped in a couple scoops of butter.
I know... Paula Deen would be proud!



Stir that all together and throw in a little bit of fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste




Dinner is served!



and here's another shot because well quite frankly I didn't care for either photo but I couldn't decide which was the best of the worst photos.


another shot of the finished yummy corn



the finished green beans



and the leftovers... I don't know why I never thought of this before but when I cook for the hubster and myself we always have tons of leftovers.  Most of the time he's more than happy to take them to work because he seriously loves leftovers but sometimes (like today) when he has to be out of town and he can't eat them.   I just decided to pack up the leftovers and put them in the freezer.  Now they are in portions just right for the kids to swipe and take back to college with them or for us when I need something for a quick dinner.  

Have you thought of a great way to save your leftovers?  Do you have leftovers?
Have a great day peeps and even though it's 103 degrees at 11:15 in the morning I'm looking forward to high school football starting tonight!   

Peace, Love & Yummies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF