Monday, October 18, 2010

Grilled Chicken, Baked Noodles and Cheese, and Party Baked Beans....my mama's best!

First things first...I need to apologize for the lateness of this post. I mean I sorta promised you on Thursday that I'd have two of my mama's best recipes up on the blog but unfortunately my Internet connection had other ideas.  Got up Friday morning to no Internet and no home phone.  Seems the whole neighborhood was down and it took most of the day to get back up and running. By that time it was time to head to Springer and watch the Mere bear cheer at her game.  Saturday was a blur of activities of which the highlight was our dear friends Chuck and Sue Poo taking us to dinner at Brio's in Southlake.  YUUUUUMMMMOOOO it was super good and we had a great evening. After dinner we popped back to our house and watched the movie The Wrestler.  I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, actually a great movie and sad at the same time.  Made me think about how many people are out there doing the only thing they really know how to do and love doing it so much that they lose almost everything else in their life.   I highly recommend this one but please don't let the kiddos watch, it's one for the grownups.

Now back to food because I probably won't be posting many dinners this week. The hubby had to go to San Diego for work and it's just me and the animals until he gets back Wed. evening and then my surgery is on Thursday.  My blog will be "dark" for those days.   Then I am going to feel much better and back to my old self....yep, just keep saying it and hopefully it'll happen!!


Let's eat!!!
First up Grilled Chicken.....OH MY WORD... this has seriously got to be one of the best chicken marinades evah!!!  It's super duper easy too!

Here are your ingredients

I just poured a little of the dressing out of the bottle and added the packet of zesty Italian mix and a tablespoon of Spike seasoning.  Shake really well and pour over the chicken. 

I covered with plastic wrap and left in the fridge for about 6 hours.  I think the longer you marinate the better the flavor.  If you look really close you can see that I put some slits across the chicken breasts

I read a little tip that this would help the marinade penetrate the chicken better and I also pounded the chicken breasts to about the same thickness and trimmed off the thinner edges that tend to burn.  
I don't have grilling pics because the Abogg did the grilling for us while we were at the gym.

I premade the Party Baked Beans earlier in the day and just popped in the oven when it was time.


You'll need
28 oz can of Baked Beans
1 small can pineapple chunks-drained
2 Tbsp molasses
2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
about 4 hot dogs
and melted butter

Combine the backed beans, pineapple, molasses and mustard in a casserole dish

Then mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a separate bowl and sprinkle over the top


top the mixture with scored hot dog and then brush with melted butter
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  super yummo


Now for the Baked Noodles and Cheese. 
My hubby isn't a big fan of mac&cheese but he actually liked this one. It was always one of mine and my sisters fave things for mom to make.


1 package Egg Noodles
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 pound grated white American cheese
bread crumbs

Let's stop for a second and talk about the cheese. White American cheese is usually found in the deli.  I don't grate mine, I just have the deli slice it thin then I cut into smaller pieces.  Grate if you want, but small pieces melt just as easily and it's a whole lot less work!!

Just boil those noodle according to package directions.

While the noodles are boiling we are going to make a cream sauce from the butter, flour, salt and milk.

It gets thicker...not thick but thicker than just the liquids you start with.  Just whisk while you warm and it'll thicken nicely.  Add the cheese and stir until melted.

The bread crumbs should be a little "old". I just bought some day old bread from the bakery and chopped it up and then left it sitting on the counter all day uncovered.  I like a LOT of bread crumbs. 

When your noodles are done drain those off and then mix together with the cream sauce and pour into a baking dish.  Top with the bread crumbs...go craaaaazy with bread crumbs!!


Now just pop that in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes and it is done.  Isn't that so convenient how the cheesy noodles and beans cook for the same length of time at the same temp??? 

Fresh out of the oven and now it's time to eat!


Just some King's Hawaiian rolls to go along with the dinner and we chowed down!!
Check out the chicken...the Abogg pronounced it some "dang good chicken". It was moist and very flavorful, I think that marinade is here to stay!

Hope you have a wonderful Monday and always remember

Peace, Love & Yummies!

2 comments:

  1. Your baked bean recipe sounds very good. It is similar to my mom's beans but she doesn't add cloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff requested the cloves be left out next time :0)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF