Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TuTu Tuesday and a 50/50 shot at dinner last night!

well folks sometimes you win and sometimes you lose....dinner was a 50/50 last night.  That's ok, you never know what you like until you try and in the process you find something you really like.

Let's start with the good....the baked beans.  I've made these before but boy are they a hit!  I'm gonna use some old photos and add a new one in but let's do this:

Cast of characters:

8 slices bacon, halved
1 med onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
3 - 28 oz cans pork n beans
3/4 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dry ground mustard

Cook that bacon in a big ole pan!

Since you are going to need a big pot I just cook my bacon in a big pot and on the plus side....keeps that grease from splattering so bad.  Now cook the bacon to chewy and remove to drain on paper towels.
Now drain off most of that grease and toss in the onions and green pepper. Now....I know I said use 1/2 of a pepper but I buy peppers on sale and chop them up when I get home and food saver them so I just used a whole pepper.  Hey, it's my beans and I can do what I want to them...besides I'm lazy sometimes. :o/
You are going to cook those until tender or about 5 minutes.
Now let's add the beans and the remaining ingredients...well, don't add that bacon just yet but you should check to see that everyone in your family hasn't snuck in and nabbed every gosh darn piece...you know just in case you need to cook some more. While you are at it...flip that oven on to about 325 degrees.   Now mix that all up and bring to a simmer on the stove.
When that's all done just dump into a 9x13 baking dish and top with the bacon. You might want to spray that dish with some Pam too.  You are then going to bake those babies for about 2 hours or until the consistency of pancake syrup.  Then pull 'em out and slap 'em on the table and be prepared to be amazed at what happens in the oven during 2 hours!! YUMMMMMMOOO!!!!
See what I mean, I couldn't even get a photo before they starting digging in!  I'm sure you have noticed that this isn't a full dish of beans.  I actually made the beans on Saturday for our friend Mark's party but didn't take all of them to the party so I finished cooking the remainder last night.  Unless you have a big shindig....you could easily split this recipe into two pans however I'm not sure how they would be frozen so maybe just make a friend with the neighbor.  You know right before you go on vacation and need them to water your flowers or something!

Honey Mustard dipping sauce....this was super dee duper!!   Def. a keeper and a have a small jar of it in the fridge ready and waiting for any chicken strip emergency that might arise.
Cast of characters is simple!!!

This recipe makes a bunch but I cut it in half and still have lots of leftover.
1-1/2 cups of mayo
1/4 cup dijon mustard  (I used spicy brown 'cuz that's what I had)
1/2 cup honey

That honey is from our friends the Runneberg's and it is sooooo good!!  On the off chance they might read this....I'm gonna need a refill soon.  :0)
Now just mix those ingredients up in a bowl and wah lah ......dipping sauce!


Here are some photos of the remaining dinner....talk to me if you want to know more about the chicken or the corn ....have I told you before how much I HATE frying things in my house?? Plus I'm not very good at it.  The corn was a hit with my son and I liked it but will lay off the pepper next time.  I think it overpowered the dish. This was fresh corn so the pepper was too powerful for that lusciousness.  Sorry mr. corn, next time I'll be nicer to you and not douse you in pepper.
Jeff needed to spice up his chicken

chicken strips finally done



Alex can wait no more, he fixed his plate.


and finally....the dog who waited patiently for any leftovers




Peace, Love and Yummies folks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF