Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pimento Cheese a Southern lunch staple

Hey there Peeps!!
I really intended to be wrapping up the bridal shower recipes today but I didn't get around to posting yesterday because well, I was getting my "hair did" for about 3 hours.  Seriously 3 hours!!!  This is what happens when you don't go in for a cut or color or anything for over 6 months.  Please remind me not to do that again.    In all fairness I did have the deluxe pedicure and my brows waxed as well.  My hair was "baking" during the pedicure so I suppose we were multitasking!!   Anywho my hair looks so much better and healthier than it did so we're all happy.  Well maybe not the hubster, it wasn't a cheap trip to the salon!!!

Okie dokes let's get down to making some Pimento Cheese. Now if you are from the South you most likely pronounce this delicacy as Puh-Men-Ah Cheese. My grandmother would say "you want Memama to fix you a puh-men-ah cheese sanwich baby?"   The words in that sentence are spelled as spoken by my MeMama.  What I wouldn't give to hear her ask me that question again.

Now most people feel like Pimento Cheese is simply Velveeta, pimentos and mayonnaise.
I however like to punch mine up a bit and since it was for the bridal shower that's just what I did.

Here's what you need:
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded 
4 oz. jar diced pimentos, drained
2 Tbsp. greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp chili powder
squeeze of lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour.
We went all out for the shower and had ours on white bread with the crusts cut off and cut into finger sandwiches.  It was cute and fun and delightful to eat white bread again!
That would be the traditional bread of the sandwich but we're all healthified now so for now we'll go back to our extra fiber wheat bread.   I know it's really not the same is it??


Now let's talk about a few of the ingredients.
Cheese...don't buy shredded cheese shred it yourself. Yes, it makes a difference.
The cayenne pepper, I went with probably 1/8th of teaspoon.  I didn't want to light anyone up at the shower.  It had enough of a punch to tell but not enough to cause heat sensitive people to cry.
Oddly enough the greek yogurt is undetectable in this...just make sure to get the plain not a flavor.



Put those babies out on a tray and just watch everyone including those "northerners" eat them up!



That's it for making pimento cheese and I've got the stuff to whip up another batch here soon.
Hey, a girls gotta have lunch you know!!!

Do you have a special way your family made pimento cheese?  Have you even had pimento cheese?
Do you know why the sky is blue?  Oh sorry a little off topic!!

Peace, Love & Yummies!!!!

                                                         

1 comment:

  1. i would like to hear her say those words again too. or pick up the phone and chat. saw the old silver tea service in your blog...which i love. good luck with the wedding. love you sherri

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF