Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Banana Split Pie

Hey there my peeps!!  I'm back from a quick trip to Vegas to see some friends get married. We had a blast and I'm having a hard time adjusting to "real life" again.  Tomorrow I'm going to show you how to make dinner from nothing when you get back from vacation but in the meantime I'm going to share with you the dessert that I begged my mama to make me for my birthday every year.

Banana Split Pie....it's just amazing!!  I've tweaked my mama's recipe a bit...sorry Mama!!  I think it's just the best thing for the hot summer and February birthdays!!


This is going to seem long and complicated but it's not...really it's not, I totally promise!



Here's the the printable for the ingredient list and directions but follow along with the photos.
You should be rushing to the store by the end to whip up one for your family.



Pulse in food processor vanilla wafers to make crumbs.
Or you can be old fashioned and use graham crackers.
I personally have no preference....I like both equally, it's a non discriminatory blog you know.


To your vanilla wafer crumbs add the stick of softened butter and  1/2 cup , powdered sugar



Pulse until combined then press into a 9x13 dish



In your mixer combine the 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 stick softened butter.
Whip these together for about 10 minutes...yeah, you'll probably want a stand mixer for this one but you know what....My Mama used her hand mixer for many years.  Hers turned out just fine and she probably didn't have jiggly arms back then either.  




Pour that mixture over the top of the vanilla wafer crumb crust



Now add the sliced bananas.
I slice mine lengthwise then chop into bite size pieces.



After having drained your canned pineapple VERY well....add that over the bananas.
Really peeps, don't skimp on that step.  As a matter of fact when you get ready to start pour that pineapple into a colander and let it drain while you are doing the other layers.
No one likes soggy banana splits!



Now very carefully spread the layer of Cool Whip over all the over layers.
You know cause you don't want the pineapple getting all mixed in the Cool Whip.



Well that's just delightful looking but not quite finished.
I mean banana splits have toppings!!



Grab some cherries, nut topping and some chocolate syrup.



Sprinkle the nuts all over that Cool Whip



Now dice up the cherries and sprinkle those over the nuts



And give it a good healthy squirt of chocolate syrup



Now it needs to be popped in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then chilled in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Or as long as you can stand it.   

You need to let the layers have time to firm up and stay all nice and layered and not runny.
It'll be much prettier if you can wait.



I don't know about you guys but sometimes pretty is highly over rated!!
Especially in the dessert world.  Some of the best desserts aren't eeeevvenn pretty!
Also note, this did not photograph well for me, sorry about that.


In case you wondered....
this is how food arrives to your house when you let the food blogger bring a dish.

Hey...a girls gotta do a taste taste after all, right??!!!
Just in case you forgot, here's the link to the printable again.

What's your favorite non traditional "birthday cake" request??

Peace, Love & Banana Split yummies!!!
                                                        

3 comments:

  1. Everybody make this next time you have a birthday at work. I made 2 last night. One for home for tonight and 1 for work for a coworkers b-day! It was fantastic. Everyone loved it!!! Easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!!!! :0) It is crazy how easy it is, always makes me wonder why I don't make it more often!!!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF