Monday, July 30, 2012

Dorito Casserole



Well Peeps it's Monday again!!  Yeah buddy it sure was a Monday.  I've pretty much managed to be as unproductive as possible yet become fully knowledgeable on all Olympic happenings.  Yes sirreeee bob....if you have an Olympic question just ask me because I'm pretty much watching nonstop.  Well between the Olympics and Pinterest I might never do anything productive again!

Actually I might but that's because the dear Hubster will be leaving the house at about 3:45 in the morning (YES THAT'S A.M.) to go on his Grand Canyon hike.  NO I wasn't invited, we could talk about it but I'm a bit bitter.  I'm just consoling myself with the fact he is going to miss a WHOLE FREAKING WEEK of Olympic glory.  Really, what was the man thinking??!!  Besides I'm going to work on my craft room in complete peace this week.

Anyway, the cooking will be light around these parts this week as this girl is perfectly fine eating cereal, popcorn, poptarts and ice cream for dinner.  I know you are so jealous of the healthy diet!!!
In preparation for my week of not eating worth a ding dang darn I prepared a few dishes last week and we're going to start today with a good one.  Dorito Casserole!!!!

Yep, just go ahead and click right here and get that printable going while you read the rest of the post.


You're going to need this stuff:
Can of Crescent rolls
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced   (not shown..sorry)
1 Tbsp. olive oil (also not shown)
1 package Taco Seasoning
8 oz container PLAIN greek yogurt
8 oz can Ro-Tel tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I like sharp)
3/4 bag of Doritos



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and get out a nice 9x13 pan and spray with cooking spray
(Try not to be jealous, I KNOW that pan is gorgeous isn't it??!!)   



In a large skillet put the olive oil in a pan and then toss in the diced onions.
Just heat them up a bit.



Now add the ground beef to the onions and get that ground beef all nice and brown.
Drain off the fat if you need to. I don't, we've covered this before.
I buy VERY lean beef.


Now add that can of tomato sauce




And that package of taco seasoning.
Stir that all around and let it all sit there on the stove just simmering away for about 5 minutes.



While you are doing that let's get those crescent rolls pressed into the bottom of the pan.
Press those seams together- you know so you don't lose the goodies out the bottom.


And grab the Dortitos and crush them up.
Yep, I use the handy dandy potato masher for this job.
I didn't crush mine too fine as I wanted some texture to them.



Now spread that ground beef mixture over the top of the crescent rolls.



Now try to add the yogurt/sour cream to this mixture on top.
I couldn't and I gave up and just swirled it into the meat mixture.
Eh, it's all going to the same place, MY BELLY!!!



Now add some Doritos to the top of that.



Then some cheese



Then decide to sprinkle on a few more Doritos and add some jalapeno slices.
Yep, just right from the jar baby and maybe a tad more cheese.



Now bake that in the oven for about 30 minutes



And serve with a nice salad.


You know the salad is topped with more of the Salsa Ranch dressing.



And eat up senorita because it's yummy!



I'll spare you the photo of my dear Hubsters plate....he ended up putting lots of the Salsa Ranch on his Dorito Casserole too.  It was good but not too appetizing to look at.  


Now I'm not gonna lie there are about a dozen ways to "skinny" up this dish but I like to make some compromises here and there.  First of all, I used plain greek yogurt and not sour cream.  1) It's healthier 2) I don't really care for sour cream 3) see number 2
I also used the reduced fat crescent rolls.  Honestly when you cook with them you cannot tell the difference. Save the calories and fat for more important things...... like cheese!!!! 
Yep I'm sure you could use the low fat cheese and you go right ahead but me I love cheese,  really I do!!
Some things just aren't going to change and my love of cheese is one of those.  Besides it's how I get my calcium intake!  Also I suppose you could use the Baked Doritos.  Personally I think this is a sin that the Vatican itself would investigate but you go right ahead and sub those in if you feel like it.
None of my business where you spend your afterlife.  Oh and they don't make the Spicy Taco Doritos in a baked version either, so there!


All in all this was pretty darn tasty and easy!  I think the last minute thought of cooking up the onions and adding it to the ground beef was an improvement.  Depth of flavor peeps.  We also have zero leftovers of this which means at least 3 of us thought it was scrumpdillyiscious. Verdict: we will make this again!!

Here you go, last chance at that printable without having to scroll back to the top of the post!

So what kind of new yummies is Pinterest inspiring you to make??  Please share as I may have missed a pin or two!!! 

Peace, Love and Orange Fingered Yummies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF