Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Easy Dinner Rolls

Happy Happy Hump Day!!!

I have been so crazy busy and I think maybe soon we'll settle back into the normal routines around here and I'll be posting much more regular so bear with me while I try to get back in the groove.

I've made these divinely delicious dinner rolls twice now.  I figured I better share them because hey it's not fair if I'm the only one getting jiggly thighs.

These are the perfect dinner rolls when you are about 30 minutes from dinner time and realize that a) you forgot to buy rolls b) too darn lazy to get in the car to go to the grocery and get rolls c) can't manage to con your husband or kids to run to the grocery d) all of the above.  You should have most of the ingredients in your pantry and if not just add them to your grocery list and pick them up on the next shopping trip and you're all set for when the dinner roll dilemma happens.


 Let's roll with this..get it?  "Roll" with this.  hahahahaha  I crack me up!!!



Water, oil, yeast, sugar, salt, egg and bread flour.
That's all but preheat your oven to 400 please.



Slip the dough hook on your stand mixer.
Combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar.
Stir only to combine and let it rest for 15 minutes.
That means don't touch it and leave it alone.  
Because it will get all bubbly and cool looking and you'll want to.
I tell you this from experience.




Now mix in the salt, egg and bread flour. 
Slowly at first (to avoid dusting the kitchen with flour)
Then on medium speed until the mixture is nice and soft and smooth.
Now is the time to resist the urge to grab a small handful and eat.
What?? I'm the only one who likes raw bread dough???!!!!
Why let cookie dough have all the fun?



Now divide that dough into 12 balls and place in a lightly sprayed 9x13 baking dish.

As for dividing the dough this works for me
Divide the dough in half
Divide each half into half 
Divide each half half into thirds

If you followed that then you're amazing!
No really, it didn't even make much sense to me and I wrote it.
Just follow it one line at a time, it'll work I promise

Now just put those nice dough balls safely some place so they can rest for 10-15 minutes.
Then pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and your house smells heavenly.



Take those beautiful beings out of the oven.



Rush them to the table while they are piping hot.




Do something naughty and slather some butter all over them.



Have them with dinner and then understand that I 
1) don't particularly care for meat loaf but I make it occasionally anyway
2) yes I really do like cream corn on my mashed potatoes
3) I had two rolls, I could have eaten more but I didn't
4) these are VERY good the next morning for breakfast
5) they are also very good warmed up the next night in the oven in foil with butter, garlic salt and parmesan cheese on top with spaghetti

Here's the printable for you so  you can make the rolls and have jiggly thighs with me.



Now I told you that I don't really care for meatloaf but I really like this sauce on top.
Thank you Pioneer Woman for making me more tolerate of meatloaf.
It's just 1 1/2 cups ketchup, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp dry ground mustard and some tabasco.
Stir it up cover the meatloaf with it, then baste on a little more when it's about half way done and then you can ever serve it on the side.  I called it meatloaf gravy.  

So what's up with everyone?   Are you sending those kids back to school and college?
Are you about to be empty nesters?  How do you get past that?  Are you drowning your sorrows in bread dough like me?   


Peace, Love and Yeasty Yummies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF