Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chicken Pot Cobbler

Yeah, I know Chicken Pot Cobbler...doesn't sound very appetizing but it was good.  It's kind of like chicken pot pie but only has a top crust and pot pies to me have a top and a bottom crust so this is a cobbler.  See, if you think about it that way it makes perfect sense!

You'll have to forgive my weirdness as  I'm sitting in the chair in my jammies at 10 a.m. eating leftover ghoulash from last night so I fall into the weird category right now.  If it makes anyone feel better, I spent my time productively while the pictures were uploading and as soon as I'm done I'm getting a shower because I have to run pick up the Aboggs contacts so he can see again!

I don't have the recipe typed up just yet so we're gonna do the whole recipe right now in pictures.  So follow along and check back in a few days and I'll have the link to the recipe posted, promise.



Go to the store and grab a nice rotisserie chicken.
(no, I didn't know how to spell rotisserie I let spell check figure it out)
You can also use 3 cups of cook it yourself chicken if you so wish.


Put 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and 1 10 oz can of cream of chicken soup in a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil.  Stirring occasionally.



While that is warming up grab yourself a nice 2 qt. casserole dish and start pulling the meat off the bones.  Oh, take the skin off too please.
Don't worry, Hubster will come home from work and steal some skin and finish licking the meat off the bones that you missed.



See you have a nice pan of chicken and all you had to do was pull it off the bones.
(which in my mind is a very difficult task, I hate touching chicken)


I grabbed a can of mixed vegetables and mixed it in with the chicken.
Cause I like my mixed veggies in this kind of thing. 


Now pour that soup/broth mixture over the chicken/vegetable mixture.



Make sure you get it all mixed in really good.  Spread the love around.


Rinse that saucepan you just used out and drop a stick of butter in there and let it melt.



While the butter is melting put 1 cup Self Rising Flour in a bowl and add 1/2-1 tsp pepper.
Combine those together.



Grab 1 cup of well shaken buttermilk.



Take the melted butter and pour it into the bowl of flour.



Then pour in that cup of buttermilk.


Just mix that all together and yes, it will be thick and gooey.



Take that batter and plop it over the top of the chicken mixture




Just drop plops of it all around the pan.



Gently spread the batter out over the chicken mixture then pop in the oven at 425 degrees for about 35-45 minutes until top is browned and bottom is hot and bubbly.



Pull that out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
It's pretty hot you know.



I popped some frozen lima beans in a pot while the casserole was cooking.



Bring it out and serve it up.
I think you can now see why I chose to call this chicken pot cobbler.


Funny thing about this.... Hubster liked the top better than my regular chicken pot pie but likes the middle of the chicken pot pie better.  I liked the middle but not the top.   HOWEVER the next day he decided he liked them both but maybe the middle would be better with the other top.  Confused yet?

I'm thinking next time I will just buy some pre-made flaky layer biscuits and split those up a bit and put on the top or find another quick drip biscuit recipe that I really like.

That's really the nice thing about trying new stuff you know, sometimes you have a couple of recipes for the same thing and you like different things about each one so you mix them together and make something your family enjoys!  



Not a very colorful dinner but it was good and we had lots of veggies and that reminds me there is just enough lima beans left in the fridge for a nice pre-lunch snack.  WINNING!


How's your week been?  Any of you try the blog reader suggestions I talked about yesterday?
Hopefully tomorrow we'll have the ghoulash recipe.  It involved too many tomatoes and an hour long phone call to my mom to discuss the reasons why mine didn't taste or look like hers and most importantly this time it was not the lack of butter!   I'm still not over the fact she uses two sticks of butter in my beloved Macaroni & Tomatoes.  My arteries just clogged up again.

Peace, Love & Yummies my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF