Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Italian Veggie Ragout, a new fish and some amazing bread

So tonights dinner was kind of thrown together rather quickly but it was fantastic! I'm posting this one tonight because Court and I are headed to Austin in the morning to finish packing up her apartment. She is switching places this semester and of course since nothing is easy in this world she has to be out of the old place by Saturday but can't move to the new place until mid August. Life has a way of doing things like that to you, doesn't it?

So let's talk food!

I've made the Italian Vegetable Ragout before but let's recap since it was Courts first time to have it and I modified it a bit.

Cast of characters:
4 small zucchini, sliced thin
1 small onion, diced
2 cans Italian style stewed tomatoes
1 can chick peas (garbonzo beans)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Olive oil


Heat small amount of olive oil in pan and throw those onions in and cook them nice and tender.


Once those onions are ready dump in everything else and bring to a boil, drop the temp to simmer and cover and cook until all those veggies are nice and tender.  As you can see we had another "misjudge the pan size needed" event.  Oh well...what's a few more dishes right??


Zucchini goes in



Now for the tomatoes and chickpeas


all dumped in the pan



all stirred up together and cooking away





We just cook up some plain couscous and serve the veggies over the top. Super yum!


Make sure you cook up that couscous plain, no butter or oil...Holy Smackeroli's did you ever think you'd ever hear me say that??




Now onto the fish, my favorite fish guys at Central Market once again come through. I tried a new fish tonight, swai. It's an Asian catfish of sorts. I likened it more to tilapia or other white fish. It's less expensive and quite tasty. Mine came pre seasoned as citrus sesame. We just added a little grape seed oil to a big iron skillet and pan fried those little jewels on the grill.

This is what it looked like in the bag...exciting stuff, huh???


Now .... Let's talk bread. Thanks to my sweet friend DeSha who turned me onto this one! I think I love her for it but my butt will probably grow widely because of her! Haha.

Take yourself a delightful loaf of French bread and slice in half lengthwise. Melt some good ole butter (about 2 Tbsp) and brush it onto the top sides of the bread and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes, just until the bread is barely crispy. While that's working grab some monterey Jack cheese and shred about 2 cups of it. Then mix in some ranch dressing, I used about 3/4 cup. The recipe called for a bit more but I toned it down some.....oh and I used a light ranch. ;0) gotta save those calories where you can. Smear that cheese mixture over that bread and pop it back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes on 300 degrees. For some color I sprinkled on a little parsley too. After that cheese is nice and melted and a little golden, slice it up and stuff it in yo face! Be careful, it might be a bit warm!

Here is that little goodie hanging out in the oven!!!


now just feast your eyes on that!!!

There you have it folks...dinner success! We stepped out of the norm again tonight and found a new fish to enjoy that's much more economical but just as tasty.  Like I said before celebrate your successes and laugh with the failures, tonight we celebrated!

Doesn't that fish just look yummy?  I was very impressed.  Success at dinner time peeps...gotta love it!


Peace, love & yummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF