Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Orange Pull Apart Bread

What the heck weather???  Seriously I wore shorts and a sleeveless tshirt all day yesterday and today I'm freezing to death in yoga pants, tshirt, sweatshirt and thick socks!
Does this make any sense at all??  Is it any wonder we're all sick?   Maybe that's why the dog is so wound up too, because he's been a very bad doggie today.

Before I get started on the bread I'm gonna get all serious for a minute or two.  You guys know I love to blog and I love to read blogs but am I the only one who feels like God isn't speaking to me like He does everyone else?    I mean there has been so much talk lately of how Pinterest has become such a slam to everyone.  It can make you feel like you  don't throw the best parties, you can't take a $3 dresser from the thrift store and turn it into something HGTv worthy, your wardrobe is sad and outdated, you don't exercise three hours a day and your food is not for vegans, vegetarians, paleo, gluten free, sugar free....yada yada yada.  All those things can either tear you down or inspire you and I like to think my boards are inspiring and even wishful thinking and dreaming but the one thing that gets me every time is how Pinterest and other blogs are making me feel like my faith and my relationship with God is inferior.  I'm glad God was speaking to you so loudly that you had to pull over to the side of the road, I'm thrilled that you managed to pray yourself or your family out of some devastating disease but you know there's a way to tell that story to be uplifting but instead it seems that it is now a prayer competition, you know like your Gods favorite child and I'm the "red headed step child".   (Don't be getting bent out of shape over the step child comment....my son is a step child and I have 2 girls that are my step children and I assure you they have NEVER been treated any differently than if I had birthed each and every one of them. I prefer the term "bonus" children because that's really what they are)  Back on track, am I the only one feeling this way?  You know you got a big ole' tax refund because you prayed about it, your house sold out of the blue for way more money than it's worth because you prayed God would let you expand your family so He did and He gave you so much more than you asked for.  Seriously? Do you believe you are the only one praying for good things?  I'm not bitter, I'm just angry because we call ourselves Christians and we build ourselves up to a holier than thou status because we "recognized" where God was working and we see our neighbor not getting what they prayed for so we begin to believe we're better Christians because God chose to answer our prayers and not theirs.  I beg everyone (myself included) stop tearing everyone else down so you feel better about yourself.  Wave your crazy amazing kitchen remodel in front of my face and tell me how much you saved by painting your own cabinets and how easy it really was, inspire me to believe I can do it too but DO NOT tell me God loves you more because you pin all these inspiring quotes, write endless blog posts about God blessing you so immensely because you just prayed and prayed, don't quote me bible verses and then 2 minutes later post on Facebook how crazy your spouses' ex is or how amazing you are because you think you're "smarter" than everyone else because you are the only one who passed the test.  There's a fine line in being proud of an accomplishment and being so proud of your accomplishment that you are belittling everyone else.  There is already so much evil and bad in the world can't we all just stick together and be prayer warriors for each other?  Can you just ask one person to let you take a worry of theirs away and pray for them and sincerely mean it, not just say it. We're all in this together and we've already got enough fake on the Real Housewives shows to go around for everyone.

(btw:  I used to watch RHONJ all the time and sadly I find it incredibly funny)

Okie doke...let's make some bread because we definitely need some sweet with all that.
This is "product" I made for Hubster to take to work on Monday and I will tell you that I spent the better part of the afternoon on it (off and on)

Here is the printable you might need it to follow along.  This is NOT complicated just a little time consuming but seriously worth every minute.

Dough Ingredients


  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour, divided, plus additional for kneading
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast (1 package)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs, room temperature

Filling  Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. orange zest (about 3 oranges)
Place sugar and zest in a bowl and rub between your fingers until combined.  
It will be fragrant, moist and resemble wet sand.
Glaze  Ingredients

  • Orange Juice from zested oranges
  • Powdered sugar
Place powdered sugar in a bowl and splash in the orange juice while whisking until smooth and form glaze.





In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, the yeast & salt. Set aside.
Put 4 Tbsp. of the butter and all the milk in small bowl.  
Microwave, stirring occasionally, just until the butter melts.  
Allow to cool for about 1 minute, then add the water and vanilla.
Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients, using the paddle attachment on the mixer, stir until combined. Add the eggs, one a time, stirring until fully incorporated after each one.
Replace paddle attachment with dough hook and add the 1/2 cup of remaining flour and mix until smooth. If the dough seems sticky add a couple of Tablespoons of flour until smooth.


Knead until smooth
Place the kneaded dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  
Set aside until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
(I like to put mine in the oven, just to keep it away from drafts-the oven is not on!)


Oil and line a bread pan while the dough is rising.


After the dough has risen, roll it out onto a well floured surface into a 20x12 rectangle.


  1. Spread the remaining 4 Tbsp. butter over the entire surface then sprinkle the filling over the top.  Spread and press lightly into butter and dough.




  1. Cut the dough into 5 4x12 strips (you will be cutting lengthwise) and then stack them on top of each other, alternating dough and filling.

  1. Cut that stack into six 2x4 pieces.  

  1. Take the cut stacks and place them in the prepared pan with the 4” sides facing up.

  1. Use your fingers or butter knife to fan out the layers if necessary.




  1. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and set aside to double in bulk, about an hour.  
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



  1. Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.

  1. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes then remove from pan.

  1. Drizzle with glaze and let set before serving (IF you can wait).

Here is the printable again for ya!


That's all I got for today and I hope you guys will forgive my brief stint on the soap box. Just do something nice for someone and expect nothing in return and smile.
It'll do your soul good!!

Peace, Love & Orange Yummies!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I saw your comment on the Southern Living cookbook post and just had to check out your blog. I was scanning the comments and Paducah jumped out at me. That's my home town as well :)

    I'm so glad that I clicked on your link, this bread recipe looks amazing and I'm definitely going to give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Jennifer!!! I love Paducah and miss it very much but with the joy of Facebook I still keep in touch with my friends and see photos of my beloved hometown!! The bread is worth the time and it's probably a great thing that my husband took it to work with him! :-) I hope you stick around, most of my posts are much less philosophical and much more "crazy food fun".

      Delete
    2. Thisis the hubster and yes the Orange bread thing was VERY good, people at work loved it.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF