Monday, June 13, 2011

Black Bean Stuffed Red Peppers

Happy Monday my peepers!!!
Well, it wasn't such an awesome weekend for me; On Saturday my phone just died. No rhyme or reason the hubster and I were driving to the movie (Fab Five) and I thought hubster was messing with me and turned my phone off, he wasn't and didn't so no phone.  
On a completely unrelated note....Fab Five was fabtastic!! I mean c'mon, The Rock (hello!!!!), Vin Diesel, Paul Walker.  How in the heck could it not be good!!!  If you like the other Fast & Furious movies you'll like this one and Ludacris & Tyrese...HYSTERICAL!

Back to the phone....on Sunday we head over to the ole' Verizon Wireless store to allow the sales person to pronounce my phone DOA.  Problem is that the phone I want is a tad too pricey and they were busy and weren't in the mood to make deals.  So we left but in my complete disgust over my poor dead "crackberry" AND I had to (ahem) visit the ladies room really really really bad; I sat on my Ray Ban aviator sunglasses.  I love my sunglasses...now they look like I had a few too many but I'm wearing them anyway because well heck I already have to buy a new phone!    I did call Verizon this morning and my new phone will arrive before 10:30 in the morning.  Thank goodness the Abogg is coming home this weekend to help me work that new contraption.

So the other day I tempted you with this photo:



First up find yourself some nice beautiful red peppers, there were 3 of us so I got three 
(aren't I smart that way??!!)
Clean those peppers out and then pop them in a 400 degree oven on a baking sheet and let them roast for about 15 minutes.
(after the 15 minutes were up, I just turned off the oven and let mine hang out while I was making the filling)



Now grab yourself a nice onion and chop it all up




Pour about 1 Tbsp of olive oil in the pan


Cook those onions until they are soft and begin to turn translucent



Add in 1 clove of minced garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds



Stir in 1 15 oz can of black beans (drained & rinsed) and 1 /4 cup water



Add 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch (or 2) of cayenne pepper.  Stir, cover pot and simmer for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.



While that is cooking shred yourself about 1/2 cup of Colby Jack Cheese
or if you are me, then make it a full cup.


Stir in 1/2 cup or so of corn




Grab those peppers out of the oven and divide the bean mixture into the peppers



When they are nice and stuffed just add that cheese right on the top 
Pop those under the broiler for about 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.


We had ours with some Authentic Spanish Rice Mix
of this yummy stuff



This was a whole new recipe for us.  Now I personally loved it when my mama made stuffed green peppers growing up but these are just a nice twist on that.  I personally really liked this version and the hubster deemed it dinner "rotation" worthy.  The Merebear...well she ate the stuff in the middle and we did decide that possibly the stuffing might even be pretty tasty rolled up in a tortilla. 

These were good but they also made me hungry for regular stuffed peppers and if I dig around a little I bet I can find my mama's recipe around here someplace.  :0)   I'll keep you posted!!
What are the wonderful yummies your family used to have at the dinner table that you've put a new spin on?  Drop me a line and let me know I'd love to hear them, unless it's meatloaf.....sorry I no likey the meatloaf!!!  haha  Actually you can even tell me about your meatloaf because you never know, you could be the one to change my mind about meatloaf!

Peace, Love & Yummies

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious
    *adds to list of your stuff to try*

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF