Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Don't buy that jarred stuff

Hi dee ho!!!

It's hump day Wednesday and I'm just chillin' while two strange men crawl on my roof in the hundred+ temperatures.  Never fear...insurance adjusters from that last crazy hail storm we had.

In other more exciting news..... I picked up a birdcage at the auction awhile back and it just was screaming to be painted....so, I did.



I painted it a nice ivory cream color then distressed it 




and now mama birdie has a freshly painted home.
Looks much better!!



my mantle is all dressed and ready for 4th of July
see those glass stars? dollar store candy dishes that I spray painted.
Yep, stand still and I'll either spray paint you or decoupage you.



So, since I told you not to buy the jarred stuff you are probably wondering what that was all about.  Well, I'm talking spaghetti sauce people.  Don't buy that jarred stuff full of crap just make your own.  Better for you and it tastes darn good too.  Don't fret, it doesn't take long at all and you've probably got most of the stuff on hand anyways.


You need:
1 med onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2- 16 oz. cans tomato sauce
1- 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper




chop up those onions


put them in the pan with the olive oil and let them cook until they are nice and translucent
then dump in the garlic and stir it around



now if you want meat in your sauce, add it now
this is just extra lean ground beef about a pound of it
sometimes I used 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 Italian sausage



Get that meat all nice and browned and mixed together



now dump in everything else



stir it around and let it cook for at least 15 minutes

Truth be told....make this at least a day ahead and then put it in the refrigerator then pull it out and reheat for dinner.   It's just one of those things that gets better with time in the refrigerator.  You can also pack it up and freeze it now.  I'm getting ready to do that for the college kiddos to have when school starts in the fall.   Then they just have to unthaw and cook some noodles. 



This is the hubsters moms recipe and this is a picture straight out of the book we found cleaning up her house.  It's nice to have all the recipes but even nicer when they are actually in her handwriting.
It just makes it personal. 



and this is dinner.  Instead of noodles we had cheese ravioli.  Nice change of pace.
(ok...truth be told, this wasn't dinner.  I forgot to do photos so I had to make a plate early this morning...then I had to eat it for breakfast. Tough life I know??!!!)




this is my plastic ware cabinet.  I cleaned it and I took a picture because it probably won't look like this by Friday.  Plastic ware is funny that way but for now, everyone has a partner.

So today's story...don't buy that jarred stuff.  Isn't your family worth knowing what is in their food? Besides, this is so much tastier and it really doesn't take a ton of time.

On a completely unrelated note...I have a horrible headache and I'd give anything for a diet coke. 
darn you artificial sweeteners and my decision to cut you out of my life.
What about you....what is something that you love but you've decided to cut out of your life because it's a healthier decision?   C'mon let's all suffer together and share our misery!! 


Peace, Love & Yummies

p.s.  seriously...this post just was willy nilly all over the place. Kind of like living in my mind.
sorry about that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF