Friday, January 4, 2013

I never met a Lasagna I didn't like

Well Happy Happy New Year Peeps!!!

I've been off taking a bloggy break, enjoying my family, blowing the entire contents of my lungs out my nose.   UGGGHH yes indeedy I joined the millions who were sick over the holidays but I'm not gonna complain one little bit (ok maybe a little) because I just have myself a good old fashioned cold.  Not the flu, not whooping cough, not anything but a yucky old cold.  It seems weird that you hardly ever hear anyone say they have a cold anymore??   Anywho I blame the whole debacle on the little creature you see below.



Hello my dear friends I'm pleased to introduce you to Sir Winston Churchill.
The newest addition to our family.  
Also known as Chewbacca or Destructo Puppy.



Because when he doesn't look like this he's chewing on anything he can get away with and then going out to do his business.  Which is why I caught a cold.  It was pretty and warm and in the 60's and then BOOOM chicka wow wow


This happened on Christmas Day.
Oh yes it did and between going out and in and out and in and out and in attempting to get Sir Winston to go outside, I got a cold.  But other than a really really sore nose from blowing so much I'm pretty good now.   So somehow I managed to actually get a little cooking done on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and that's where we begin for now.  Lasagna on Christmas Day!
I'm not sure how we started having Lasagna on Christmas Day but it's a tradition that causes me plenty of work but I don't plan on bucking the system anytime soon.  Love me some Lasagna much like another furry friend.


So before we get started, here is the little printable for the Best Lasagna but don't worry, I'll give it to you again at the end of the post, I'm nice that way.



First up- you need to have your wonderful mama send you this AH-Maze-Ing pot.
Not really but it sure does make cooking easier.  

Now you need ALL these ingredients and yes I know there are lots!

This is not a Pioneer Woman recipe but I love her and her books in my picture so I did the polite thing and said hello to her.  Although I'm sure her lasagna is amazing too!

Let's get started shall we??


In that big amazing new pot your mama got you for Christmas get the sausage, beef, onions and garlic to cooking in the pan.  Make sure it gets good and brown and they you are going to add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and half the parsley.  Stir together really good, cover and simmer for an hour and a half  ( at least) longer if you can wait.  Lift the lid every once in awhile and give it a stir and sniff that crazy awesome aroma wafting from your stove!


Now when there is about 30 minutes left grab those lasagna noodles and put them in a big ole baking dish and pour VERY hot tap water to cover completely.  Then just let them hang for 30 minutes. They'll get all soft and you don't have to boil them.  WINNING!!


Now mix up the ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Then just hit it with a dash of nutmeg.
Turn that oven on to 375 and let it be warming up so it' ready and waiting.



Now it's time to assemble the gloriousness.
Meat sauce, noodles, ricotta cheese mix, mozzarella, repeat.
After last layer of mozzarella, top with parmesan and a small bag of Italian shredded cheese.
  
Take a piece of foil and spray the under side and place over lasagna.  Bake for 25 minutes then remove foil and bake another 25 minutes.  



Pull that beautiful thing out of the oven and let it hang out on the stove for 15 minutes.
No hurry my friends because it is H. O. T. hot hot hot!



Now slice you off a piece of heaven and dust with a little more parmesan cheese.



Because unless you are this guy 
or have a similar lactose intolerance, there is no such thing as too much cheese!
Can I get an amen from the choir!



There's nothing left to do but dig in (and maybe burp)



and then have seconds and then save some for tomorrow because everyone knows....lasagna reproduces in the refrigerator!!


What's your peculiar Christmas dish?  or are you traditional eaters?

Oh one last thing if you look over there on the right side, way up to the top, you'll see my One Little Word for 2012. It was Yellow.  I'm still working on my word for 2013.  I'm not being inspired just yet but I know if I listen I'll hear it calling me.  What's your word?  Do you have one yet?  Keep thinking and when I figure out mine, we'll all reveal our word of the year!

I'm off to see what kind of mischief I can get into since it's technically still "vacation" time because the kids are back to school yet.  Oh and here's that printable again because I keep my promises you know!


Peace, Love, Yummies & Ciao Bella!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF