Thursday, January 31, 2013

Texas Beer Beans

It's Thursday Peeps....I'm just telling you because sometimes I'm not entirely sure what day it is.

 I wasn't really sure what to call these beans because the inspiration recipe actually had a specific "spirit" name in it but I don't normally have that brand in my refrigerator so I just gave them a new name.   Eh, sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

Did you know that it's really hard to take a good picture of a bowl of beans?
If you have any tips I'd greatly appreciate them.
Moving on, let's make some beans!

If you like to start things out with the printable well then here you go!


Take 2 cups of Canary Beans
(you can find these with the Mexican specialty foods)

Put these beans in a big pot and cover with enough water to cover by an inch.
Bring to a boil, simmer 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and let rest for 1 hour.
(or you can remember to soak your beans overnight)
After an hour, drain and rinse the beans.
Return to pot and cover with water/chicken broth to cover plus an inch.
(I used a half/half mixture on the broth and water)


You will need these other items too:
onion, garlic, jalapeño, bay leaves, 12 oz. amber beer, Chipotle chilis in adobe sauce, apple cider vinegar and cilantro.
(Coke Zero optional-for you, not the beans)



Add the onions, garlic, jalapeño and bay leaves.
Bring this to a boil, lower the heat and simmer partially covered for an hour.
Stir occasionally.
(that means every once in awhile run in the kitchen and give them a stir)


Remove the bay leaves and stir in the beer, chipotle chili's, vinegar and cilantro.
Cook for at least another hour until beans are creamy and tender.
They are beans so of course the longer you can let them cook the better they will be.

Before serving the beans I grabbed my handy dandy immersion blender and gave them a couple of quick juhzes.  (that's a word you know or it is my word).
It gives the beans a creamier texture.


Serve them up for dinner



We had us some Zesty Shredded Pork with our beans.
The pork was hanging out in the crockpot all day.


There was also some cilantro lime rice on the side.

I love these beans, the Abogg liked the beans, the Husbster.....not so much.
Which is peculiar since I've made these before and he liked them.
hmmmmmm, an odd thing around here indeed.

Here is the printable one more time



In other exciting news...Sir Winston got his cone off today.
As evidenced by the photo above, it's obvious that he's up to a bit of mischief already.
The pot on the bottom left corner is where the dirt came from, he tumped it over.

Also evident...the dog is getting a bit on the pudgy side...32.7 pounds at 16 weeks people!!!
He gained 4 pounds in a week with that crazy cone on his head.  Obviously it didn't slow down his eating.  The vet found it a bit amusing yesterday, his amusement was quickly removed when it was time to remove the drain from his tushy!  My sweet boy went all crazy nutso on that one.
Can't say as I blame him much!

Happy 16 week birthday Winston Churchill- you chubby puppy you!

What exciting things are going on at your house?  Cooking anything amazing?
Tell me, I'd love to hear and please share!



Peace, Love & Yummies!!

2 comments:

  1. ARG, ok posting comments take TWO!!

    Any chance you will be doing a "best of party food" post anytime today or tomorrow?? I don't wanna rush you or anything.... just some delicious dishes that will be simple and tasty and fun. Oh and since your not busy...wanna run up here to San Fran and whip those bad boys recipes up??? You can stay and watch the NINERS win!!! hehehe....OK gonna go troll through your older post for some recipe ideas for Sunday!! Give that sweet SWC a big kiss on from CA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the best goodie that I make that is always the most popular is so super easy!! Take lil'smokies and then take a pack of bacon slice the package into thirds, wrap a slice around the lil' smoke & secure with a toothpick. Put all of them in a jellyroll pan COVER in brown sugar and then bake in the oven Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until bacon is done. I'm telling you---you will become a food god!!! :0) I'll see if I can whip anything out for you though....We are doing a chili bar this year for the game!!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF