Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chicken pot chicken pot...chicken pot pie!!!!

For the love of Pete and everyone else I wish to goodness I could remember who sang that little song "chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pieeeeee!"  If you know could you please comment and tell me because it's gonna drive me crazy and yes, at the moment I'm too lazy to google it.  :0)

Let's make this dish and I've done it before be we are revisiting it because it's so insanely awesome good and easy!!


These are the ingredients you'll need



Open the can of chicken and drain (you might want to rinse a little too with some water to cut the salt out of the chicken)


Just throw the can of vegetables in the same drainer with the chicken and let them drain together.



Spray an 8x8 dish with cooking spray.  You'll thank me later for this tip!


Spread out 1/2 of the crescent rolls into the pan



Pop those in the cold oven and set the oven to 375 degrees.  Just let those crescent rolls hang out in the pan in the oven while it's preheating.  I promise I'm not leading you astray with this one!


 Stir together the salad dressing, flour, bouillon cubes and pepper



Add the milk and stir together well



Cook on low heat until thickened.  I like to use a whisk as it gets all those pesky little lumps out of the gravy mixture



Once that is thickened just add the chicken and the veggies.  Yeah, you can use turkey too if you prefer!




keep on low heat until chicken and veggies are warmed throughout



Now run over to the oven and yank that pan of kinda cooked crescent rolls out of the oven and then add the meat/veggie mixture over the top



Take the other half of those crescent rolls and spread out over the top of the mixture


It's not necessary but I like to add a little brushed egg and paprika to the top of mine.  You know...to make it all fancy and all!



Bake that in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.   Splash a little flour on your face so your family thinks you really exerted yourself in the kitchen and sit down to a plate of this goodness!



You can serve a little side salad or something with it but hey, it's got the meat, the veggies and the bread all rolled into one so we just eat it like this!

What's that you say....can you use biscuits?  Well sure you can or you can use a pie crust.  Whatever your family likes.  I've made it will all three but we all love the crescent roll version the best.  No matter what you use I still suggest prebaking the bottom crust in the oven.  It just seems to make a nicer bottom layer if you do that and hey, if you don't like a bottom layer of crust... WHAT?? What's wrong with you???!!!!    heehee   just kidding but not really.   No, you can leave the bottom layer off if you like.

Now here is the handy little linky to the printable copy of the recipe.  You know the official put together one without all my snide comments.


Chicken Pot Pie

well, it seems my linky isn't working so here you go, sorry about that I guess I need to work on my google doc skills!


Chicken Pot Pie


Serves: (4) • Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients


  • 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 LARGE can chicken, rinsed & drained
  • 1 can Veg-All vegetables, drained
  • 1 can crescent rolls, divided







Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1/2 of crescent rolls in 8x8  pan and put in oven while preheating.
  2. Stir together the salad dressing, flour, bouillon and black pepper in a saucepan.  Add milk
  3. Cook over low heat until thickened (gravy consistency) then add the chicken and vegetables.
  4. Cook on low until chicken and vegetables are warmed throughout then spoon into dish.
  5. Use other half of crescent rolls and spread over top of mixture, pressing seams together
  6. If desired, brush beaten egg whites and sprinkle paprika over the top
  7. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Special Notes

  • use an 8x8 square pan for easiest crescent roll spreading
  • may use biscuits or pie crust in place of crescent rolls



Peace, Love & Yummies!!!!



4 comments:

  1. hey Samma,, how much salad dressing, flour, bouillon, pepper, and milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about that, I reposted with the recipe included in the body. I was trying something new with google docs...guess I need to work on that route. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the link and it worked just fine on my computer. And the chicken pot pie song is from a Sitcom. I just can't remember the name. had a smart guy playing dumb and he samg it once while being assaulted by a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone emailed me and it was Just Shoot Me (sitcom) and it was the Donnie character and we sing that song all the time. And to up my dork factor... I do my Ed Grimley (Martin Short-SNL) imitation when I use Paprika! ;0)

    Glad the doc link worked for you I'm hoping to learn to add the printables right on my page but my taxes and another website are eating up my bloggy time!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF