Friday, March 18, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

Well hope you all had an awesome St Paddy's day!   We celebrated with one of the girls favorite dishes and a good ol' Irish standby....Shepherd's Pie.

Let's cook!

First up we need to brown the ground beef and the onion in a BIG skillet (preferably one that can go from stovetop to oven).


Once that meat cooks, drain if you need to. ( I don't because  I buy my super lean ground beef at the Sprout's--yeah yeah, I'm bragging but Sprout's rocks and they only know me as the crazy lady who shops on Wednesdays and searches all the checkout counters for the Cherry fruit bars!)

Stir in the mixed veggies, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and garlic.

Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

While that's cooking we need to grab these items

Combine the cornstarch and cream cheese until smooth and then stir into the beef mixture until blended




Add the beef broth and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and stir until thickened.



Make the mashed potatoes-- use butter and milk and follow the directions.  But hey, if you wanna go for it and make your own taters...then I tip my hat to ya and go for it.  However, the instant works just fine.

Spread those mashed potatoes over the top of the meat mixture.


Brush the top of the potatoes with a beaten egg and sprinkle with cheese

Then move it to the oven and let it get nice and brown and heated through.

Then dinner in a pot is served!

And I apologize, Court and I were so hungry we dug right into it to put ours on our plates before I got the pictures taken.  But that's ok, cause now you can see what it really looks like. :-)


This was a pretty good shepherd's pie.  I'm not a huge fan of this dish ( I have no clue why because I like everything that goes in it--just one of those weird things) but this was good and I ate my serving and didn't give in to the temptation of Lucky Charms cereal which I've been craving for no reason!

Now if it's St. Patrick's Day, you need a Shamrock shake for dinner too!  We liked our shakes even better than Mickey D's. (shock and awe!!!)  Just some cookies and cream ice cream, milk and a little peppermint extract. Topped off with whipped cream, chocolate syrup and green sprinkles!

soooooo.....that's it folks but here's the full recipe in case you are ready to make your own!


Just click on the link and it'll take you to the recipe where you can print it all out.  Let me know what you think.  Leave it like this in a link or do I need to squelch my brain and figure out the web programming to get it all into the blog to print?? :0)  I'm here for ya so give me a shout and tell me which way you prefer to see the recipe in full.


Gotta run make a birthday cake don't you know!!

Peace, Love and Yummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF