Sunday, March 27, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Happy Sunday ya'll

Man o man...it was 85 degrees and sunny bunny all day yesterday.  The hubster and I got the flowers and lots of new plants and hanging baskets and they are all planted with only 1 minor incident involving the sprinkler system.  I am proud to say it was not me who hit the sprinkler system with the shovel! :-)
But holy smoley...it's in the 40's and 50's today and all cloudy and gloomy like.  It's a gloomy gus day for sure so I'm gonna stay inside, blog a little, do a little taxes and work on the condo bills and some new reservations that are coming in and maybe watch a little basketball!!   I'm a Kentucky girl at heart so I gotta cheer on UK now!

I bought some strawberries at the Sam's Club the other day and then I didn't know why so I made jam.  Seems like a logical thing to do.  Yeah, it's kinda jam because it's freezer jam but hey....I'm just beginning at this canning stuff so I gotta take it slow and easy.


Put those nice cleaned berries in a big bowl and smash 'em really good like.  I used a potato masher but I suppose if you have a food processor you could use that.  I don't so I mashed the old fashioned way...mashed the berries and working on my arm muscles at the same time!!

Get yourself some of this cool stuff at the walmarts store



Bowl those lids in a pot of water...yeah, yeah I only boiled the lids

Mix that packet of pectin and about 2 cups sugar in a bowl

Now pour the sugar over those smushyed up berries.   Mine are still chunky but I like my jam that way.




Now stir that all together for 3 minutes...yep, we are working out those arms today


Now ladle that jam into the hot jars and slap those lids on nice and tight




Let sit out on counter for about 30 minutes then send them to the freezer but save one jar for the fridge.

This will keep a year in the freezer and about 3 weeks in the refrigerator.  That's why I use the really small jars.  We don't eat a ton of jams or jellies so I would rather have the small jars and take them out of the freezer more often. 


Here is mine and the hubsters snack this morning.  This was some gooooood stuff!!  We were churning over all kinds of fruit jams to make as the fruit starts coming in this year!
He's making chicken soup now with the leftover chicken he grilled yesterday.  Tomorrow the post is gonna be his weekend cooking post.  Make sure you come back and see what my crazy hubby has been doing this weekend while I yard worked and he cooked!!!!

Stay warm and don't hurt yourself cheering for those CATS today!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!

Peace, Love & Yummies


5 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I found a U-pick strawberry and KIWI farm right on the coast!! Several friends and I are going to be picking and I am going to teach them how to make preserves!! So much fun! Not to mention right at the ocean! Love it

    DeSha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always jealous of the California produce you have access to!! I'm telling you I'm gonna have to have you guest post on the blog. You make sure you take lots of good photos and stuff while you are doing that and I'll get your post up for you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle! Can you make this with any fruit...apricots? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would assume so... we are going to try blueberry for sure. I think the only fruit that requires some tweaking is peach, I haven't used apricots but I'm sure it's worth it. If you try it I'll trade you a jar of strawberry for apricot !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Following you back from A Home Made by Kiki! I can't wait till we can pick our own strawberries here in Virginia Beach..we make freezer jam every year!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF