Thursday, September 27, 2012

Roasted Veggie Burritos

Hey Peeps!!

Well Happy Thursday to you and I tell ya it's a good thing that I had a few posts saved up because dinner has not be blog worthy this week.  Don't get me wrong, I've cooked and we've eaten but nothing to write home about for sure.   Especially last night, the Mere was with us and we had the usual colorless dinner she requests.  Dino Chicken nuggets, corn, mashed potatoes and mac & cheese.  We always laugh about how everything is the same color and yes, DINO chicken nuggets are mandatory even though she's 17.

Now it's not too often that I make fully vegetarian meals but this was one of them.  These were super yummy and very easy to make.  If you can con bride someone into chopping everything for you it is even faster!!  Here's the printable and let's get cooking!!




2 whole sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed small
(yes these are yams and yes they taste the same)



2 jalapeƱos, diced small
You can deseed if your family likes things mild.
We just happen to be growing incredibly hot jalapeƱos in our garden so getting the seeds out is mandatory.  Normally I would take the seed out of one but not both.




1 Red Pepper, diced small



1 Red Onion, diced small.
I actually only used half the onion. Adjust accordingly.

p.s.  Are you guys seriously sick of this pink cutting board yet?
I know I am!!!  Throws the color of the food way off!


Grab about 2 teaspoons of this stuff and pour over all those mixed veggies.


Add 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder and a pinch of salt & pepper.
Mix that up real good and put on a baking sheet.





Pop that in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
You should probably whoosh them around about 1/2 way through the cooking time.
You know in case you decide to wander off outside or go start doing something else.
Like that's EVER happened to me!!! 


When those come out just put them in a bowl and let them cool a bit.



Grab the black beans and give them a good drain and rinse then add them to the veggies.
Squirt in a couple of teaspoons of fresh lime juice and about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.


Now gently mix those together.
Don't go plowing in like a bull in a china store those veggies never did nothing to hurt you!




Grab the burrito size whole wheat tortillas and some shredded cheese 
if you please.  If you no please you can leave the cheese out.
However I beg to ask....if I get no meat is it fair if you leave my cheese out too?
I think not!



Put a couple of heaping tablespoons of veggies and some shredded cheese in the center of the tortilla and just roll them up.
Hopefully you do a much better job than I.



Place those in a SPRAYED baking dish seam side down.

If you want the burritos kinda crispy just put them in the oven like this.
If you want them soft, spray with cooking spray and cover with foil and bake.
We did them the crispy way but next time it'll be soft for sure!!

Just bake those in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Presto chango dinner is done!!


We had some leftover queso in the refrigerator so we used some of that and also some salsa with these.
They were actually very yummy and very filling.  Although I did find myself hungry a couple hours after dinner or maybe I was just jonesing for some ice cream. 



If you want to wrap a few up in foil and save for another time you can do that, just don't do the last baking step.  They'll keep in the refrigerator for a few days.  In case you want a quick dinner or lunch later in the week.  

So does your family try to go meatless once a week?  We try and usually do but you know sometimes that happens when we decide to have popcorn for dinner!!!   Speaking of popcorn we haven't had that for dinner this week just yet.  Of course tomorrow is Friday Night Football and Saturday the Abogg has a double header to play so junk food with be endless.  I'm also pretty sure we will end up taking the Abogg out for dinner in Waco after his games are over.  

NEWS FLASH------ Did you hear about the possible scarcity of bacon??
Lawdy child I'll have to actually get a real job to pay for bacon because you know this girl ain't doin' without bacon.  I'll be like that man on tv last night.  He said it may go up to 5.99 a lb. but I'll still be eating it...just not as often.   There ya go!!  


Peace, Love & meatless Yummies!!


2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I'll be trying that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked these but woudld prefer with flour tortillas, not the wheat ones we used. But again it was very tasy and Frankie really liked teh insides by themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF