Friday, March 26, 2010

Italian Vegetable Ragout with Couscous and Baked Tilapia

I know I know.... you think just because I can't say Italian without using Brad Pitt's voice that I picked dinner with Italian in it.....not really, just a fun coincidence.   Let's do it"



4 small Zucchini, thinly sliced
1 onion coursely chopped
2 (14 1/2 oz) cans Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (16 oz) can chickpeas (garbonzo), drained
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Couscous, cooked without oil or fat


First I'm going to explain per recipe, then afterward I'll tell you what I'll do different next time!
Combine zucchini and next 6 ingredients in a large skillet. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Uncover and simmer until most of liquid evaporates.  Arrange over top of couscous and serve.
Now....... I like my onions to cook a bit more so next time I think I will warm a little olive oil in the pan and then toss the onions in and cook until tender then add the other ingredients.  It was a little too "fresh oniony" for me but otherwise delish!!

Now the fish....which I totally went off the cuff on. They were on sale at Sprouts and I thought I would celebrate the Fish on Friday on Thursday  :0)



Yes, the wine was necessary.  Not for the dinner but for me  :0)
Take a little oil, I use Grapeseed.  Let me  digress and explain grapeseed oil as it was explained to me by the lovely fish guys at Central Market.  Grapeseed oil is a lot like olive oil but has a higher smoke point and almost zero flavor, a great alternate when you don't want that olive oil flavor, like when cooking fish.
Ok....I put a little oil in the pan and then flip the fish over in it to coat so it wouldn't stick.  Then I ground some fresh black pepper and added the juice of two lemons so it looked like this:

Then I popped it in the oven on broil for about 5 minutes each side and tada..... dinner is served!!!
Next time hubby has requested we grill the fish....no problemo dear. You just get right out there and fire that grill up!

quite yummy and lots of good healthy veggies and fish!  Now...time for Wii fit, maybe since it's Friday I'll get a different instructor!

Peace, love and yummies guys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF