Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pieeeeeeeee

Yep, back to cooking just like I promised!  We had some Chicken Pot Pie last night.  Always one of our favorite meals, it's so fast and so easy and if you are on Weight Watchers, something really yummy you can have for just a few points.

Culprits needed:
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
2 Tbsp AP flour
1 tsp chicken buillion or 2 cubes
1/8-1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chopped turkey (I use 12.5 oz can)
14.5 oz can mixed veggies
Tube of crescent rolls (use reduced fat-can't tell the difference at all)


First thing: Take half of the tube of crescent rolls and pop it into the bottom of your pan, like this:

Ok, now pretend that the picture is not blurry!!!
I think I should wear my glasses when I cook and take pics.
Now pop the pan in the oven and start preheating your oven to 375 degrees.  That is the bottom layer of crust and it needs to brown up a bit while you are mixing the remainder of the ingredients.
Next task, dump the chicken and the veggies in a colander and give them a quick rinsse to get that extra salt out of the way and let them sit and drain.  I promise this makes a huge difference because that canned chicken tends to be salty.

Now we are gonna dump everything else in a saucepan and cook on med. heat until it gets nice and thick.  I know I know...sounds like a strange combo of ingredients but I promise you will not regret making this dinner!!   It really does get thick, kind of like white gravy:
Now we are gonna grab that colander and dump the chicken and veggies into the sauce and stir it up really good and keep on stove until veggies and chicken are heated through.

Now while that is heating up go to the oven and grab that pan out...hot, use potholders please!
It should look like this:

See nice and golden brown and the mixture should be quite warm so grab it off the stove and dump it in. Then you are going to grab that other half of the crescent rolls and spread those out over the top of the mixture like so:

You can pop it in the oven right now or you can spice it up with a little color.  I like to brush a little egg white on top then sprinkle on some paprika.  Just makes it pretty.

seee....it's prettier and now it's just waiting on you to pop it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Everything is already hot and warmed, you are really just waiting for the top layer of crescent rolls to brown up. Then when it's ready you take it out and this is dinner!

Ahhhhh, yummy goodness and dinner is served!!!

now you can add something else to your plate if you want but folks, I cleaned all day yesterday and managed to have a banana with nutella and a handful of pretzels so I was starvin like Marvin and this was good enough for me.  See that... homemade chicken pot pie in less than 30 minutes and none of that extra fat and preservactives those frozen things have. Not to mention the lack of sodium!!!!   Enjoy peeps!!!
Peace, Love and Yummies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF