Monday, March 22, 2010

Red Velvet Birthday Cake

so we celebrated Court's bday a little early this past weekend and I think after several attempts I've finally found a red velvet cake that I am happy with.    Enjoy folks, it was yummy!

Cast of Cake Characters:
2  1/2 cups AP flour 
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla  (drop or two of almond extract if you have it)
1 oz bottle red food coloring  (supposed to use two but that's just tooo red for me)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans
Lightly stir eggs in a bowl with a wire whisk then add remaining wet ingredients, stir to combine
Stir all dry ingredients in mixing bowl  ( I sifted everything)
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix on med high for about one minute until combined.
See  that is really red enough for me but hey....should you choose, add the other bottle.  By the way, she did ask if I could make it purple next year!  :0)
Now pour into prepared pans and drop pans on counter to release bubbles.

Pop those babies in the oven and  for about 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
As you can see, I don't grease and flour pans. Personally I have better luck with a little crisco on the parchment paper.  If you saw the prune cake, you know I have cake sticking issues.  this works for me
Cool warm cakes about 10 minutes in the pan then remove from pan and cool completely.  You can make the frosting now

Frosting cast of characters:
8 oz cream cheese: room temp
2 sticks butter: room temp  (don't give me grief...just do it!)
1 tsp vanilla
6 cups confectioner's sugar ( I sifted)

Now it's time to whip that butter and cream cheese until nice and fluffy, then add the vanilla.  Add the sugar slowly in batches and scrape down sides as you go.   Now frost that little beauty and enjoy!!!  We did!!

By the way, the final cake ended up with more sprinkles and candles...I don't know what happened to those pictures!!!
I thought I would add another pic....just to tempt you a little more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF