Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kentucky Chex Mix...bacon, bourbon & pecans OH MY!

Yeah, let's just go ahead and get your mouth watering really good!!

To start with I just didn't take that many photos because;
1) I thought this would just be okay
2) I was making spinach dip too..you know the Knorr's kind. The kind that makes you ingest several bags of carrots.  In other words, I was distracted.
3) I was getting ready for a party and the frozen wine needed stirring-need I explain further??



First of all you can go right over here and get yourself the printable and maybe thank the good kitchen fairies over at Pillsbury for coming up with such an amazing tribute to my home state!!!



First up mix in a 15 oz. bag of pre-packaged Chex Mix, traditional flavored
(They didn't have the big bag so I used two of the smaller bags, which made it a little more than 15 oz.)



Now toss in about 1 cup of pecan halves...or pieces
AND add 1/2 of a package of crisply cooked bacon, crumbled.
yes...I said 1/2 of the package



Now in a saucepan heat together 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup light corn syrup
Let that all cook and melt and get nice and bubbly around the edges.  Then cook it for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and cool 2 minutes.

This is where we got the bourbon out and I lost track of my senses.  You know what they say... I love Jesus but I like to drink a little too!  
Now stir in 3 Tablespoons of Bourbon and 1 tsp of chili powder.
Pour that yummy goodness over the top of the snack mix, bacon and pecans.
Spread that snack mix out onto baking sheets lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray
Bake in 300 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
Cool completely...don't eat it hot or it'll burn!!  (don't ask how I know this?!!)
Break into pieces and serve.  Prepare for a new addiction to begin!



and that bacon....it's like when you have pancakes and bacon and the bacon gets all drippy with your syrup.  oooh goodness!!!



Great googly moogly this stuff is good!!!
This is def. a keeper my peeps!!!

Sooooo, what kind of traditional favorites have you found a new twist for?
I mean we love our Chex Mix and Puppy Chow (muddy buddies) to make at Christmas time but this....oh well it's given me a whole new appreciation for the Chex Mix!!
Is there a snack that just screams "your home state" to you??   

Get out and enjoy the day my peeps, we're on our second day of 80 degrees here in Texas!!!

Peace, Love & Bluegrass State Yummies!!!

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF