Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars...Pdub style

Happy Valentines Day!!
Or as my husband keeps leaving me notes and texts...Happy VD!
I really hope he's not trying to tell me something!!!   haha

So this past Saturday the dear Hubster and Frankie went to the gun range.  I wanted to go but decided they might need some guy time to grunt and scratch so I stayed home and watched 4 episodes of The Pioneer Woman on my DVR.  I watched slowly with no interruptions and I paused and made notes in my cookbook and then notes on my nice legal notepad.  I'm a very studious television watcher.
(seriously, you should have seen the notes and flow charts I had for LOST..embarrassing really)
After the shows were done the baking bug had done bit me and my mind was churning.  I decided the Strawberry Oatmeal Bars she made on the "Little School House on the Prairie" episode were in order!!

Side note:  I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE The Pioneer Woman.  She is my hero and my inspiration for my little ole' blog. She's real and she loves to make her family happy and wear holey yoga pants just like me!   If you haven't read her blog then go right here and start reading. I promise you'll be there for hours laughing and laughing and inspired!  Her show comes on Saturday mornings on the Food Network and it's great.  She also has a new cookbook coming out March 13th and you can pre-order right here on Amazon.
(p.s.--PDub has no earthly idea who I am and just might issue a restraining order if she did!  I have not been compensated in any way to publish these comments...although if she wanted to call me or email me or send me something, well that'd just make my day!!)





Let's cook
(oh, if you want the printable for this, just click on the link above to the Food Network site where it's all listed out for you)


Cast of Characters:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup brown sugar-packed
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks butter-cut into pieces
10-12 oz. Strawberry jam (or any flavor you like)



Mix all the dry ingredients together


\

Add the cut up butter 
(take one of the pats of butter and use it to butter the dish really well)


Cut the butter into the dry mixture with a pastry cutter



Take 1/2 of the mixture and press it into the bottom of your baking dish



Once that gets all pressed down nice and even
Pour your jam over the top



That my friends is the next to last jar of my Strawberry jam from last spring!
I hope the strawberries start looking good soon!!!



Take the other half of the dry mixture and sprinkle it over the top of the jam



Pat it down very gently...you don't want to be disturbing the jam in there!



Pop it in the oven set on 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes until light golden brown.
Now here's the trick when they come out they need to cool completely!!!

Like as in several hours or overnight and this is what you get!


These were super tasty and super easy and would be awesome with your family favorite jam or preserve!   If I get my hands on enough blackberries this year I see this getting done with that!

HOWEVER, if you decide not to wait until it cools...you basically get Strawberry Oatmeal Cobbler and a text message from LL that goes like this: "Strawberry Cobbler is delish. Thank you"
I bet it is some kind of good all hot and runny with some nice vanilla ice cream on top!!  
So there you have it, two desserts in one!!!!

What kind of Valentines Day treats did you make?
Any grown up goodies?  
We're just gonna sit around tonight and watch the season premier of Top Shot on the History Channel.  Valentines Day with the Hubster AND Colby Donaldson...hard to beat right there!


Peace, Love & Yummies!!
                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF