Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cowgirl Grilled Cheese

Well Howdy Peeps!!
I made dinner yesterday and let me just say...it was rootin tootin good!!  Even if I do say so myself and well, I think I just did.  Of course it would have been better if my dear husband had not decided to go to the gym about the time I was getting hungry and not come home until after 8:30!!! Gee whiz willikens!!
I was starvin' marvin and just a smidgy tipsy  (you'll understand that part in a minute or so)

I don't know why I called this Cowgirl Grilled Cheese other than I just did.  Stock show leftover love (see stock show post over here) but I'm also on a bit of a buffalo meat kick.  I have long loved the buffalo burger and we tried cooking buffalo steaks but that didn't work out too well and the other day on one of my Sprouts trips I spotted a buffalo brisket.  Sounds promising and it was a Managers Special...Score!
Now for those of you who haven't been privy to the benefits of buffalo let me help ya out!!
This is just one of the many tidbits you can find about buffalo meat & NO buffalo meat is not "gamey" tasting at all.  It's actually sweeter and less greasy than beef.


"Another interesting fact he makes about buffalo is the health benefits that come with it. Not only does it have 70% to 90% less fat compared to beef, on average it has 50% less cholesterol. And on top of that, it is higher in protein, iron and all the omega and amino acids. Wow, my doctor may be prescribing buffalo pretty soon.
And did you know that because they are naturally resistant to disease and grow faster than domestic animals, they don't need all the antibiotics and growth hormones that are typically given to beef cattle?
So what do they feed a buffalo?
Buffalo are raised on open grassland and graze on natural grass. Because they are not fed manufactured feed, there is no current concern about mad cow disease at this time. I was also told that unlike sheep and beef, they don't defecate in their own water source. Now what's wrong with those sheep and cows?"   source

Now...go get yourself a buffalo brisket and make this!!  Or hey if you really don't want to just grab a beef brisket. Works for me!


Anywho this is what the menu board looked like yesterday
See, Cowgirl Grilled Cheese is a waaaaay better name!


Now you need all this stuff plus your handy crock pot

2-3 lb brisket
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
1/2 tsp ground mustard




Now just put all that stuff up there in the crock pot & cook on low 8 hours or so

Now let me clarify a couple of things:
1) Yes, I do get everything out I need for a recipe before I start
it's just easier that way & I can find out I'm out of something before I start cooking!
2) Yes, I actually open my cabinets up and leave them that way while I'm cooking.
I can put stuff away as soon as I'm done dumping it in the crock pot.  Less time to clean up!




Now, it's almost time to eat so I break out the wondermous ice cream maker and pour about 3 cans of coke into it.  That's it...let it work its magic


Now melt a little bit of butter and lightly brush onto one side of some nice Texas Toast
yeah....it was white bread for dinner baby!



drop those buttered sides down on a hot griddle
or use a grill pan on the stove


Slice up a little colby cheese



Get that meat out of the crockpot and shred it up with two forks



Stir it all back in the pot with that juicy sauce it made



Now when that buttered side of the bread gets nice and golden brown flip it over 
and add a nice helping of the meat



then some cheese...because everything is better with a little cheese


Now flop the other piece of bread buttered side to the meat on top and grill that side too
oooh I can hardly wait now!!



Now grab that frozen coke and put it in a nice glass with a big fat straw
and pour a little Makers Mark or whathaveyou over the top

(This was actually my second drink...I had to test the whole thought process out during a trial run earlier. Hence the reason I was a little loopy when hubster got home already)
By the way....we both LOVED this drink!!  It went very well with dinner too!



Speaking of dinner....here it is finally



yep, we'll talk about those potatoes tomorrow but in the meantime I'm gonna just sit and stare at this because I was stuffed to the maximus and it was deliciouso!!

What is your new favorite healthier food?  How do you make a weeknight meal special?
Do you have a fancy dinner drink or are you making dessert more often?? Come on...let's dish!

oh and here's the link to the printable


Peace, Love & Yummies where the Buffalo Roam

                                                          

1 comment:

  1. wonderful publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't realize this. You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers' base already!
    Sorel Women's Tofino CVS Boot

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF