Friday, February 24, 2012

Throw me Something, mister....Who Dat!!

Happy Friday peepers!!!

Well this post is a tad delayed and I really have no excuse at all.  Actually it's a miracle it's even getting done because I started reading the Hunger Games last night about 11:00 pm and can't seem to stop reading or thinking about it. What's happening with Katniss & Peeta?  What about Gale? What about sweet Prim??  I  mean seriously this book has grabbed me from the beginning.  I'm sure glad I downloaded all three of the books at one time.   I don't suppose we could get about a foot of snow here in Texas this weekend?? You know so I wouldn't feel guilty about lying around reading all weekend??!!!


Anyway back to the post....this week has been the beginning of Lent and if you have been around here a few times then you know the Hubster is from Louisiana so Mardi Gras is kind of a big deal to him.  He is also "whiskeypalian" (Episcopalian--heehee) and my dear Abogg is converting to Catholicism so needless to say this Southern Baptist girl celebrates Lent.  I have to say I do love the concept of Lent and it's a tradition that I've easily accepted and grown to greatly appreciate.  And I like to get in the Mardi Gras spirit....it's a nice fun time!



So a few decorations go up and even the oranges and apples have some fun!




The feather boas come out of hiding



and adorn the end tables to greet you when you enter.


A happy sign and some crab and lobster lights in the entryway.



What's Fat Tuesday without some good cajun grub??!!
Just out of the package mix but I added some tomatoes and green onions and the leftover chicken from last weekend.



Defrosted a big bowl of red beans & sausage from the freezer
(and I might add that those beans are waaaay better after being frozen)



yes, I am aware that there is a LOT of rice on that plate.
It's Fat Tuesday...geesh!!




Besides when else can you justify two rice dishes and having beads, doubloons and a little red plastic  craw fish on your plate at dinner???  

Now following that feasting is Ash Wednesday and the day beginning your personal sacrifice.  This year I am going to do at least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise EVERY SINGLE day.  It may be walking, jogging, yoga, mowing the yard, etc. but every day no excuse. I'm also drinking 8 glasses of H2O every day.  Where's the sacrifice you say??  In order to get 8 glasses of actual water in I will have to give up a portion of my beloved iced tea lest I decide to spend the entire Lenten season in the ladies room!!!  Really, I exist on unsweet tea....about 2 quarts a day-so this is HUGE for me.
  So that's it, 30 minutes of (hated, dreaded) exercise and 8 glasses of water every single day.
And also in full celebration of Lent, I'll be eating no meat on Friday.  In other words, I'll be begging my husband to take me to the KC fish fry every Friday night for the next 40 days!!  

Do you celebrate Lent?  What are you giving up/committing to?
I'd love to hear your "sacrifice" and the reason it's your choice.

Gotta run...I'm off to the restroom then hitting the sidewalk for my daily walk/run!!

Peace, Love & No Meat Today Yummies!!!

                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF