Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brazilian Black Beans n Rice Redux

As I explained before, yesterday was a dreary chilly day and I had no desire to do much of anything much less grocery shop.  I managed to wander around the kitchen and spot the jar of black beans on my counter and then...hmmmmm, do I have everything.  Why yes I do!!   Brazilian Black Beans and Rice on the menu again.  I tweeked a little this time.  

Cast of Characters:
2 cloves garlic
1-2 med onions, chopped
2 Tbsp oil or butter or bacon grease
4 cups water or stock
1 cup dried black beans, washed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
2 stalks celery (with leaves) chopped




Now the bean gods would ask that you soak your beans but since I decided so late to make this, they only soaked while I was preparing the other ingredients.  It turned out just fine so if you don't have time to soak, don't sweat it.    Put the garlic through a press or dice very fine.  In a heavy soup pot saute the garlic and onions in the "fat" of your choosing.  I personally chose a combo of bacon grease and butter.  (Once again, I beg of you to stop judging me for my supply of bacon grease!!)  Now I also throw the chopped celery in at this point as well.  I personally prefer the celery more tender but do what you like.

Seee, doesn't that look just yummy!  When those get nice and tender it's time to add the liquid, beans, bay leaves and paprika.   I'll be honest I personally love saying the word paprika so I added a little more than what's called for. It's a personal preference and it won't harm the beans... I promise!

Bring this all to a boil on high heat and if you are like me and have some ham leftover from Easter in your freezer well let's go get a few pieces and toss it in.

It's all good because you know that you had no idea what you were gonna do with all that leftover ham!
Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the salt and celery if you haven't already. and simmer partially covered for about 3-4 hours until beans are tender.  Watch your liquid level carefully and add more if necessary.  I know I more than doubled the amount of liquid I added.  The initial 4 cups of liquid was stock but after that I just used tap water.   Once the beans are done remove about 1/4 cup of the beans and mash them to a paste with the back of the fork and then add those beans back to the pot and let simmer a few more minutes to thicken up the beans.  Hopefully you have your rice of choice all done by now and it's time to eat peeps!

I'm still not crazy about the final picture of dinner so I'll definately be making this again so I can get a good enough picture for the family cookbook but that's ok because this is soooo yummy I don't mind. 

Peace, Love and Yummies folks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF