Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy Hump Day.....Spaghetti aka pasketti (as said by Alex age 5)

It's hump day peeps and well so far this week is just zipping by. The weather hasn't been good either but today is looking more promising and like I might finally be able to plant my new roses.  This post comes with much anticipation and excitement. When we found Janie's recipes the one item Court asked for was the spaghetti sauce.  What??? Spaghetti sauce??  I looked and looked and delivered the sad news that I found nothing on the lines of spaghetti sauce but then a while later I happened upon an Eggplant Crepe with Marinara Sauce. Two items to note:
1)  First of all...what is an eggplant crepe???
2) Second, I can appreciate Janies recipes as the with in the title was not represented by a w/ but a c with a dash over the top.  Thanks Janie, everyone questions my "with" abbreviation.

Could it be...could I have found the elusive spaghetti sauce....maybe??  Let's see!

Cast of characters:
1 med onion : chopped or thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Lg (15 oz cans) Tomato Sauce
1 Lg (15 oz can) Crushed tomatoes
3 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb gr beef (browned and crumbled)


Note on crushed tomatoes: I have seen these in the store but for some reason I couldn't find any so I just used the petite diced and ran them through my handy little electric food chopper.  Worked like a charm.
I'm perfectly happy in my world to skip the meat but I'm alone in that theory in this house. Even my non meat lovin' dependents must have meat in their sauce. So I added it.  Just go ahead and get that meat going in a pan and get it all browned up and waiting on you.

Drain the grease off if you need to but if you buy your ground beef at Sprouts Farmers Market like I do, then you won't need to do that.  I swear it's the most lean beef I've ever purchased and it's usually on sale for 1.97 a pound and I food saver that stuff like crazy!!  Handy for those last minute thoughts on dinner when you don't want to go out and face Texas Motor Speedway traffic. 

Now, it's time to get that olive oil heated up in the pot and get that garlic and onions added to it so they can be cooking up all nice and toasty.

Once those onions are nice and tender it's time to add the tomato sauce and the remainder of ingredients.

You are going to get all that stirred up together and heated throughout then dump in that browned up meat you have, bring it back to a boil and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes.




I personally left mine on very low simmer for about 2 hours.  Sauce is funny that way, it likes to hang out and "become one" with the meat....like so:
See, doesn't it look happy happy  :0)

Now you must face the wrath of the mess you made...or maybe that's just me!


Onto more important things.....like this great little wine sweet Gloria brought over Saturday night.

Thanks Gloria..... I love it and it makes me giggle. Even before I drink a few glasses!!!

Ok, so it's time for dinner and I'm starving and LOST is going to be on in a little less than an hour so DINNER TIME!!!

small side note: if you know my hubby....ask him what the "bread" on this plate really is.
Delish and by the way........it appears that yes, we have found Janie's spaghetti sauce.  TA DAAAAA


Peace, Love and Yummies folks!

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic. I'm excited!

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad had it for lunch today and said "yep, it's def. the same spaghetti sauce". :-) Wooohooo I'm glad we found it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, pretty please, with sugar on top. I love reading them and it makes me feel like such a rock star!


Print Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF